GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thumbs up Why do chevy wipers suck!!!!!!?

OK on my 03 GMC the wipers freggin suck no matter what I do the freeze up they don't even wipe the whole windshield. I don't know if its the arms or whatever. Does any one else seem to have all sorts of problems with their 99-07 trucks? Is it a desghn flaw?

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I Know on the Avalanche sites members talk about putting the Police Wipers on. The arm has more or stronger springs for a better Wipe.. They come on Tahoes with the Police package.. You might want to look into that at the dealership..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I have also heard about the police arms on the avalanche forums. They should work better by having better springs to hold them to the windshield. Personally, if I could justify the cost I would put them on mine because I've found the wipers lift too easily on both my GM trucks.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

I priced out new replacement springs at the parts store a year ago or so. They were about ten bucks / pr, I think. I didn't ask if they were cop grade, but I figured newer would be better.
    I ended up deciding that I would hit the salvage yard instead, but still haven't been. I guess I'll put those on my tax money list, too.

Good luck,

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

On a 1991 Mazda MPV we had it had a visor kinda dealy on it that would attach with two screws to wiper blade so the wind would push down the blades.

Sr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by 03 SIERRA View Post
    OK on my 03 GMC the wipers freggin suck no matter what I do the freeze up they don't even wipe the whole windshield. I don't know if its the arms or whatever. Does any one else seem to have all sorts of problems with their 99-07 trucks? Is it a desghn flaw?
    That is funny chevy wipers.
    Get some of the wipers that are in a sheath..keeps all the pressure points from freezing stiff.

No rams have the worst wipers ever I personally think mine are amazing I do have rain x though
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post
    No rams have the worst wipers ever I personally think mine are amazing I do have rain x though
    That does make sense... Rams have such huge windshields it would be hard to keep even pressure on wipers that long.

The gm wipers would be great if the springs were just a bit stiffer, in my opinion. But, overall with a good set of those reflex blades without all of the mechanical parts on the arms, or actual gm wipers, they're not too bad

And the spot that the didn't have good pressure where right at my line of sight