GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transfer case leaking - How to Fix?? **WITH PIC**

Well, I've determined there is a leak in my transfer case for my 2003 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4.

I filled up the transfer case with fresh fluid, and it proceeded to leak out fluid overnight producing a puddle about the size of a coffee cup lid. I then cleaned off the case, but now it only leaks with a couple of drips through the night. I cleaned off the fluid residue from the transfer case to try and identify the source of the leak....apparently that's easier said than done... I checked the fluid level, and see that there is still plenty in there, so now I need to determine if this leak can be fixed.

I've read a few other forums about other Chevy and GMC owners who experience this issue (apparently I am not alone here!). I'm seeing residue in the two pocket areas and a drip at the tip of the case - see below pic (click on to enlarge). Any advice on how to located the leak and fix this without paying a mechanic $1K? I've heard JB Weld can help, but where would I place the epoxy?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	053.jpg 
Views:	984 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	35050

By the way, I see the drip, but do not see a hole anywhere. I've taken a pin light to it, and examined it pretty closely, but don't see anything. Any recommendations?

Is it coming from where the 2 halves come together? I can't tell from the pic. If it is you may just need to take the 2 halves apart on put a bead of silicone around the mating surface and bolt back together.

there is a common issue with the t-cases, don't remember the model but it is normally the ones with push button 4 wheel drive. If you google it, lots of info on it out there. There is a fairly simple fix for it, as it is a design flaw and happens to most. You will not be able to see the whole, my understanding is it is hidden up at the top where the leak starts. If you can't find any info, I will look around and post up in here

05 1500, 4x4, 5.3, trailer package, G80.

Custom backup camera and double din dvd

Thanks for the replies. Aloxdaddy, it is not coming from between the two halves. Everything looks a-ok there.

Gearhead, you nailed it, I have the push button 4 wheel drive too. I've googled so many searches, but can't find anything for my specific problem. Every post I read, there is a hole that that had been found. Can't find it in my case (no pun intended...). Anything you can find would be helpful. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_Joe View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Aloxdaddy, it is not coming from between the two halves. Everything looks a-ok there.

Gearhead, you nailed it, I have the push button 4 wheel drive too. I've googled so many searches, but can't find anything for my specific problem. Every post I read, there is a hole that that had been found. Can't find it in my case (no pun intended...). Anything you can find would be helpful. Thanks!
    I have not had this problem, knock on wood. I would imagine you have a small pin hole as well.

If this is your problem, should be here. Good pictures in this thread

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=40876
    or
    http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227137

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

after re-reading your original post, if you do not have this pin hole, I would suspect you over filled it. How much did you put back in? I just realized this was a fresh change.
    Last edited by gear_head; 02-22-2012 at 09:42 PM.

05 1500, 4x4, 5.3, trailer package, G80.

Custom backup camera and double din dvd

yep, funny, I saw both of those posts previously as well. maybe too much was put in last time...still it's dripping