GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Which muffler should I get? Flowmaster or Magnaflow

Hey guys,

I have a 2010 Silverado 5.3L V8 that I want to change the muffler on. I want something with a better tone but not crazy loud. I'm looking to get better performance/MPG out of it. What would you recommend?

- Flowmaster Delta 50 Series
    or
    - Magnaflow 12589 22" Series
    or
    - Magnaflow 12259 18" Series

Thanks!
    Slim

Legend

Blog Entries

I'm not sure your going to increase your MPGs/performance much, if any, by changing your exhaust but you will definitely get a much better sound. From posts I have read, Flowmaster and Magnaflow seem to be pretty comparable. Neither are too loud and most give that deeper tone that many of us are looking for. I have the Magnaflow (forgot which series) but am extremely happy with the sound. It has a nice rumble but can sound pretty aggressive when I put my foot on the pedal. However, with the Magnaflow, some experience a drone type sound at steady speeds on the highway. For me, my tires humming or my music playing keep me from noticing the drone-type sound.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Nice. I think im going to go with the 18" Magnaflow. Anybody experience droning with the Flowmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    I'm not sure your going to increase your MPGs/performance much, if any, by changing your exhaust but you will definitely get a much better sound. From posts I have read, Flowmaster and Magnaflow seem to be pretty comparable. Neither are too loud and most give that deeper tone that many of us are looking for. I have the Magnaflow (forgot which series) but am extremely happy with the sound. It has a nice rumble but can sound pretty aggressive when I put my foot on the pedal. However, with the Magnaflow, some experience a drone type sound at steady speeds on the highway. For me, my tires humming or my music playing keep me from noticing the drone-type sound.
    Did you just swap out the muffler or did you get a complete cat back?

Well, I'm not an exhaust expert by no means but my experience has been if you want loud and obnoxious go with the Flow-master, If you are looking for a great sound at a level that doesn't wake people up when you drive through there neighborhood then you want the Magnaflow. Also, when I talked to a muffler shop about the differences he said the Flow-masters don't last near as long or have as good of a warranty as the Magnaflow and he sells both. I have the magnaflow for 2 years now and I love it. Also, just a note. If you go with the 1 in 2 out magnaflow instead of the "true duals" it sounds the same and your performance will be better. Just ask any reputable performance shop. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	More Truck 022rs.jpg 
Views:	2042 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	35137
    Last edited by donyms; 02-23-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    Did you just swap out the muffler or did you get a complete cat back?
    I did the complete system.

I have the Flowmaster delta 50 on my truck. It is a pretty quiet system, with a small amount of extra rumble. There is a small amount of in cab noise but by no means is it a drone. if you're looking for a stock noise level with a different tone I would definitely recommend the Flowmaster.

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Color-matched mirror covers and emblem
    20% tinted windows - 6" eyebrow
    Black rear fender-wells
    Completely debadged and demolded
    Duramax airbox replacement w/ K&N filter
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Flowmaster Delta 50 w/ double tip exits
    Blue footwell lighting
    12" Pioneer Sub (custom downfire box) 850W amp
    Full LED interior

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donyms View Post
    Well, I'm not an exhaust expert by no means but my experience has been if you want loud and obnoxious go with the Flow-master, If you are looking for a great sound at a level that doesn't wake people up when you drive through there neighborhood then you want the Magnaflow. Also, when I talked to a muffler shop about the differences he said the Flow-masters don't last near as long or have as good of a warranty as the Magnaflow and he sells both. I have the magnaflow for 2 years now and I love it. Also, just a note. If you go with the 1 in 2 out magnaflow instead of the "true duals" it sounds the same and your performance will be better. Just ask any reputable performance shop. Hope this helps.
    The warranty on my Flowmaster matches the same warranty that Magnaflow has on their systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
    I have the Flowmaster delta 50 on my truck. It is a pretty quiet system, with a small amount of extra rumble. There is a small amount of in cab noise but by no means is it a drone. if you're looking for a stock noise level with a different tone I would definitely recommend the Flowmaster.
    Almost considering making a switch to the 50 series. The 40 is great for being that obnoxious young teenager trapped in a mans body, but on a 500 mile road trip, it gets extremely annoying (then again, my truck has no sound deadening).
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

I'd go with the Magnaflow I think it will be a lot louder and people give to much credit to flowmaster they really don't sound that good they all sound the same. Go with something that will make your sound of your truck stand out not be like everyone else and have flowmasters
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

have a 97 K1500 ext cab with stock 5.7 engine. needless to say was shocked when i priced a new bolt in stock muffler. did some research, a lot of agonizing, and decided on putting a Magnaflow 12580. This is the muffler that comes with the cat-back system for my truck, but didn't want to lose any low end power by going to larger pipes and losing any exhaust velocity and scavenging as 90% of my driving is everyday at 2000-2500 and light trailer towing. well I couldn't be happier. This muffler has exactly the right dimensions to match the dual in, single out configuration that my system has. The volume has not increased one bit no matter how hard I romp down on it, and the only noticeable change is that the exhaust tone, while not any louder, might be just a little deeper, sounds sweet. don't have a computer on it except for seat of the pants, but it does seem that the low end response is a littler bit crisper. all I know is that David at Potranco Automotive did an outstanding job welding the new muffler in place, i worked on aircraft for 30 years and his welds look as good as anything I've ever seen, and out the door for 170.00 for the muffler and the labor is about one third of what the stealership wanted for the same job. I can easily recommend this muffler for anyone looking for something to replace the stock one and not get rocks thrown at them driving through the neighborhood and for a muffler that looks like it will easily outlast the rest of the truck. Andy