GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Behind grill offroad lights

If there is already a thread about this please let me know as i don't want to waste anyone's time but i was not able to find one.

I am wanting to put 4 off road lights behind my grill. 2 of them being low beams and 2 of them being high beams.

I have an 09 siverado LT which has separate hi/low beams and no fog lights.

I want to connect the low beams to my stock low beams so that they would run at the same time, but also run them to an on/off switch inside the cab.

for the high beams, i want to run them directly into my stock high beams so when i turn my hi beams on, the off road lights turn on also. How exactly would i do this and what would i need?

ALso does anyone have any recommendations on a light that has quality but still does not break the bank? Someone mentioned the HELLA 500 series. I don't know much about lights so any help would be appreciated.

Aso i have 6K HID's in my low beams as of now. Would i be able to convert the low beam off road lights into HID's in the future if i wanted to?

If anyone has done this to their vehicle pictures and description on how it was done would be great!
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"

2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    2" rough country leveling kit
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    deep low profile took box
    6000K HID's
    5% + 20% tint on door windows and rear + layer of 10% rear glass and 5% tint strip
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    1000 watt hifonics sub amp
    4 6.5" hifonics door speakers
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn
    5 gallon air tank with 100% duty Viar compressor
    galls street thunder deluxe siren/PA

Something like this, but 4 of them?

________2013 4C Rated__________

I have the same set up but I have fog lights, yes u can convert Hellas to hid. I've wanted to do this for awhile but don't know a good mounting place for the lights. You'll have a lot of wiring work to do with the way you wanna run it, search only for wiring diagrams, you'll need some relays. Keep us updated because I wanna do this in the near future
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

yes something like that but probably on the lower section of the grill.

and ahmitchell1, i had someone tell me that i could run my high beam ones directly into my high beam power switch, and my low beam ones would go from the hella to a toggle switch and from the toggle switch to my stock low beams. I'm not sure about this though. and ill post pics but it'll probably be a couple of months. just trying to get the ideas straight so when the money is straight it'll be a go
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"

2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    6000K HID's
    5% + 20% tint on door windows and rear + layer of 10% rear glass and 5% tint strip
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn

I've always heard its never good to try n pull power from a light without it running through as relay especially if you want it to run either when the switch is on or when the lights powering the aux lights is on. But electrical stuff is my weekends hopefully someone skilled in this will chime in. I'm looking to just run a few lights to a switch up front. But Id like to run my aux reverse lights thru a switch or powered by the stock reverse lights, which is the same concept
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

i was also thinking about adding some high powered lights to my reverse lights while i was doing all of this, but i haven't found a place that i wanted to put them yet. I don't necessarily want them to be hanging off of the bumper or to be very noticeable. What type of lights are you thinking about putting, and where were you thinking about mounting them
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"

2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    6000K HID's
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    Something like this, but 4 of them?

i looked through your albums and noticed that the lights that you installed are fog lights. What is the diameter of the height of these? also does the bar in the middle of the grill affect the light output?
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"

2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    6000K HID's
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn

They are Pro Comp 5 inch round spotted lights. I went 5 inch so the majority of te light would pass between the top of the grille and the bar. There is also zero vibration while driving with them on. That was a big plus for me. Hope that helps some.

________2013 4C Rated__________

I got the cheap fog lights from autozone I have the brackets mounted up already, there on my trailer hitch up and behind the bumper
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by lsutoms View Post
    If anyone has done this to their vehicle pictures and description on how it was done would be great!
    Don't know how much help I can be on your wiring questions, but as far as mounting I have some pics...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	149_1795.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	35177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	149_1791.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	35179

Name:	149_1786.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	35176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	149_1796.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	35178

Name:	149_1810.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	35180
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT