GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: nbs headers

Sr. Apprentice

Default nbs headers

So thinkin bout tryin to get more power outta my 5.3 im not into tearin my engine apart myself and all but ill do any bolt ons. Do i want headers or should i get a cam? ive got a intake and my exhaust is simply no muffler with a ypipe. also i dont wanna add anything ill need to change for inspection
    Last edited by 08chevyz71; 02-23-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    2008 Chevy Silverado Z71
    -Y pipe Dual Exhaust 4 inch tips
    -7.5 inch Rough Country Lift
    -3 Inch Body Lift
    -2 inch Add-A-Leaf
    -35x12.5r18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    -Moto Metal 951 Rims
    -S&B Cold Air Intake
    -Airaid Throttle Body Spacere
    -EFI Live
    -LED Taillights
    -LED Interior Lights
    -Recon Big Rig Light Bars
    -HID 6000k Fog lights
    -5% Tint
    -Billet Grille

If you're not into tearing your engine apart, I'd go with the headers. I'm looking at a pair from Summit that's pretty affordable.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Sr. Apprentice

Well iv read on here that shortys dont do anything for you. But long tubes are questionable for inspection?

After researching a bit, I found an article that shows the differences between the shorty's and long tubes with upgraded exhaust, along with stock results. The gains on the long tubes were 21 hp and only 8 with the shorty's. They used an 07 Tahoe.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...ers/index.html

Im not sure about on our Chevys but I know when it comes to my cobras unless you are making over 500 horse headers are a waste of money. I have dynatech headers and I didn't feel much of a performance difference just a better sound. But if I do what I'm planning on with this truck I will probably throw in some long tubes when I rebuild the motor
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Sr. Apprentice

Yea in my opinion shortys don't add enough power to justify the trouble. I hate working with exhaust lol. I'm jus curious if I spent money on long tubes and put stock exhaust back on minus headers if I'd pass. Mitchell what do you plan on doing to your truck? I'm not a engine mechanic and haven't spent enough time researching but what will a cam do for me? I could always take it to someone and have it worked on. Then people talk about port and polished. Am I chasin my tail with runnin big tires and trying to have a good bit of power? Kinda wish I had a dmax but o well. Btw black bears tune is absolutely amazing.

I actually just got an email back from blackbear they're gunna do my tune, but I'm thinking a 227/239 112 cam, I'm not sure If I'm going to go with new heads or port them and upgrade valve spring,rods and roller. I also have a 91mm turbo I've been looking into running it just because I rarely see turboed trucks, only thing with that is I'm a supercharger kinda guy. Just to expensive for my daily driver. Also a little high stall converter and rebuild the tranny. I'd do with a good street cam and a free flowing exhaust and a tune and if you need more power start throwing in more stuff lol.

You potentially get the most change in performance with the camshaft change, assuming you choose the right profile for how you use the truck and for any air management changes (turbo, supercharger).
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling