GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default True 5.1 Surround Sound. Is it possible?

Good morning all,

I'm currently in the process of planning out my audio system form my 2009 crew cab. I've got almost everything figured out, but I still have one big question I need to get answered before I move forward spending any money. I read an article a while back about mobile surround sound and, of course, it got me thinking. First of all, the receiver I'm looking at has a center channel, so that's covered. The question is where to put the center channel speaker. I've seen that pioneer, alpine and some others make a speaker you can just put on your dash, but I'd rather not have surround sound and have everything clean, than have surround sound and have an eye sore on my dash. I spoke with one installer and he said there might be enough room to put a 6.5 or 6 3/4 speaker in the dash with a custom grill over it to make it flush. Do any of you know if this would fit? Is it possible? Or am I just dreaming?

As always, thank you for all of your inputs.

Jeremy

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldtruckpiccenterch.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	35934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldtruckampindoor.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	35935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldtruckpicscreens.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	35936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldtruckpicbeach.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	35937Had it in my old Av.. Full 5.1 system Thanks to Kenwood and JL Audio. 900 Watts RMS plus 35 RMS for the center ch. I wish Kenwood would make something like this again.. The KVT911dvd was there Best head unit.!! Built in Tv tuner,5 volt outputs, Center Ch pro, Ease of use, And so much more.. I had 2 sub set ups. 2 12w3v2's in the back or flip a switch and a single 10w3v3 in the center working off of a single 500/1, THe doors were the Xr653cs's 3 way comps up front and the 650's in the rear. running off of the 300/4.The whole system was in my truck for 6 years before I sold it NEVER a problem.. The amps were in the doors and would be on at Full volume for upto 8 hours in the SUN at shows...By the way thats a MD player under the Center Ch I love true sound..
    Last edited by Enkeiavalanche; 03-10-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

So what are you looking at? And yes there is plenty of room under the Dash pad for a 6 1/2.

Right now the plan is a Kenwood DNX9980HD receiver. (I know a lot of reviews say it's a pretty slow OS, but I've been told from multiple sources, including crutchfield, Kenwood put out a firmware update that fixed that). JL Audio Stealthbox with 2x500w RMS 10" subs to go under my back seat. I haven't officially decided on the front and rear door speakers, but it'll be something nice. I'll likely go with a 2 channel for the subs, 2 channel for the rears and then I'll either do a 2 channel for the fronts and bridge a single channel to the center or maybe a 4 channel for the front and center and just leave the 4th channel unoccupied. That's the other thing that gets interesting with the 5.1. 5 channel amps are made for 4 components and a sub, so you end up with 2-300w on the 5th channel which wouldn't do a whole lot of good for the center channel. As far as the front and rear components, I basically just want to ensure they can keep up with the JL Audio subs in the back. I want overall quality sound when I'm out watching a movie while camping with the family or whatever. I don't just want bass and muffled highs and mids.

I've already got two 9" LCD headrests, so between those and the Kenwood screen, it should be fun times for all.

Legend

Good start What 5.1 proscer (spelling sucks) are you going to use? Having 5 Ch's does not mean you have Full 5.1 DTS. You need it mixed right. I had it in the old truck and Loved it.. I have a ton of 5.1Audio CD's that I bought and they sound out of this world.. Watching the first Fast and furius DVD in full DTS when they shoot and blow up the car is Very cool at full Volume. You can hear the Shell casings fall in the back speakers and the shots in the front..

Also Vizualogic has a Pass side Visor 7in screen with a Great Picture.. I had it and the Wife loved it... LOL

As for speakers Eather JL Audio or the Higher end Focal will give you the Best True Live sound..

I was considering JL mostly because I'm getting the JL subs and I've always been a fan of staying brand-specific throughout. The focals are intriguing, definitely, especially when I wonder how a $5400 pair of speakers could possibly prove to be worth it. Yes, I know they have several lines below that price, but I saw those and thought "how could you possibly justify that?" The visor screen is an awesome idea. I had a buddy who had those. He actually had one in both visors, but left the cover on them so he could hide it while driving for obvious reasons. As far as the 5.1 processor, that's another thing I'm not sure about yet. I've first been waiting to make sure the 5.1 was even possible before researching that further.

As far as the component speakers, my take on those, and most everything else is this: I have no issue paying for a good product as long as I know where that money went. I don't see the point in going cheap for an inferior product, but I also work for my money so don't want to throw it away.

The plan is to get it all done at the same time so I can drop it off stock and pick it up and hopefully blow myself away.

Legend

Well you see my pics above..That was the first Avalanche Sold in the US. It was in my driveway June 1st of 01. Went to a few small shows then was off the road for 2 months as we built it up. The retail price of that system would have been about $18k with install. And as I said the whole setup was in there for 6 years before I sold it and NEVER had a problem. The 3 way Comp's in the front and 2 way Comp's in the back Sounded Great all 6 years that I owned that truck. Getting those Amps in the doors was hard and Yes one did fall out 1 time when someone shut the door hard But we fixed that and getting all the wires in the Factory Boot was even harder.

As for those Focal UB's YES they do sound Amazing!!!! Have you seen the Crossovers for them? WOW.. I have sold and installed them a few times.. Google Focal 300M and you will see the car that was built in the shop I worked in In Ga that built that car. But yes they are Big $$$..

Anyway People can say Oh I like Kicker,Rockford or Alpine or a few other speaker's out there.. But after all the years I had the JL's at Full Volume for up to 8 Hr's with NO BLOWN speakers EVER...Now thats a TEST....And they Passed.....Same with the JL amps..They have played for hours with the Daytona (SBN) Sun beating down on them with never a problem...

I am looking for some more pics to show you.. If I do maybe a whole post on it.. Anyway Good luck and If I can be of any help let me know..