GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Default Boston Acoustics Exits Car Audio: What Does This Mean for Us?

Friday, February 24, 2012 -- Way back when I worked at the Good Guys, Boston Acoustics was one of two ?high-end? speaker lines we had in the car audio department. Thomas, the install manager at the time, had a pair of the Pro 6.2 separates in his front doors, and even to my then-untrained ear (as if it?s really trained now), those speakers sounded awesome. As for me, the bucket I was driving at the time didn?t deserve speakers that good.

Today Boston Acoustics released a statement saying that it was exiting car audio. I caught wind of this a couple of days ago with the rumor that reps were being quietly contacted with the news. The company plans to focus on its home audio products, though it will retain its OEM partnerships on the car side.

From the statement we can glean that this is a financial decision, since Boston?as with other companies?is beholden to a higher power, namely its stakeholders. Profitability is the watchword, and nowadays it can come from cutting as easily as increasing sales. It?s just unfortunate that its principals don?t see aftermarket car audio as a part of the company?s profitability matrix.

There is still business here?good business?for our manufacturers and retailers. It?s important that we keep this in perspective and understand that this is the decision of a company that is evaluating its own internal plans and goals, and not a pure reflection of our industry. Let?s face it ? we all know business isn?t what it used to be, but there?s still a lot we can do to make our business what it could be. Boston was part of my first taste of qualitycar audio, and I?m sorry to see the company go. But since then, I?ve had other great listening experiences, and I look forward to many more.

- Solomon

Boston Acoustics Announcement

Over the past six months, we?ve been working on a strategic plan for Boston Acoustics to drive growth and profitability. As a result, we have decided to sharpen our focus on product categories related to the home, including our loudspeakers, soundbars and radios. After careful consideration, we?ve decided to exit the aftermarket car audio business.

This transition will take place over the next several months as we continue to sell through our remaining aftermarket car audio products inventory. It is important to note that we will absolutely continue to support our products on warranty, and provide technical support for both end consumers and dealers.

This decision does not impact our OEM car business where we will continue to offer Boston Acoustics branded products and systems through our Premium Sound Solutions (PSS) division. Boston Acoustics is a key part of the D&M Consumer Business Unit, and we are confident that this move will strengthen our business.

Lastly, and most importantly, we want to thank everyone from our dealers, to our employees, sales reps and business partners who had a hand in the Boston Acoustics Mobile Audio business over the last 25+ years; we look forward to growing the Boston Acoustics home business with you.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Master Mechanic

Well it is very interesting news, and a disappointment to car audio lovers loyal to this brand. I haven't done too many car audio mods to my vehicles so I'm not familiar with their line of mobile audio but am aware of the quality they represent within market sectors such as home audio. It is interesting to hear that the strategic decision will not impact the OEM car business. I'd be interested in hearing the analytics that resulted in dissolution of this line. Could this indicate a trend of declined sales of aftermarket mobile audio? Will other mobile audio makers fall in-line with their competitor's strategic decision? Car makers are working with OEMs such as Boston, Bose, etc. to incorporate innovative audio systems with in-dash screens. Giving it some thought, a stock audio system is becoming growingly complex. The average person may spend a little extra to get the factory upgrades rather than consider upgrading the factory setup. Thanks for the info @Enkeiavalanche
    Last edited by AMac; 02-24-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    Could this indicate a trend of declined sales of aftermarket mobile audio?
    Absolutely. The sagging economy hurts luxury industries the worst ... and aftermarket car audio is one such industry.

yeah, I agree. I know that I for one have been watching my purchases and will be buying medium-level brands at the best until I get some cash reserves. It's hard to be at the top when there are so many good brands.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Legend

Blog Entries

I think that some of the high end factory systems leave people with no need to upgrade. This leaves the aftermarket suppliers struggling to meet their projected corporate sales. I see this in all aspects of business that companies are struggling to maintain the same profit levels that they have had in past years. Now many are cutting everywhere necessary to keep profits up and many times the comsumer is the one that loses in the end.

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

The good companies in car audio have progressively disappeared. I personally considered Boston Acoustics a mid level product line. The old German made MB Quart stuff is the best I have heard. If you go back far enough, the original Altec Lansing (not the company that now makes computer speakers) made fantastic products. I have some in my BMW M6. But that was back in the early 90's. A/D/S in Massachusetts had incredible sounding product, but they sold out to DEI, who then outsourced production to Korea or Taiwan. Soundstream sold out also to DEI, again resulting in production heading off shore to Korea. Orion sold out (at one time to DEI, not sure who owns them now), again the same deal, off to Korea for production. I don't think any Boston Acoustics car speakers are made in USA.

The only stuff I buy is new old stock of prior produced products from USA or Europe, on eBay. Spendy, yes, but extremely high quality and not made in China or some other low overhead, low quality control overseas production facility.

If you like Boston Acoustics, save a search on eBay for new items you want. They eventually come up for sale, because someone somewhere buys up the unsold stock.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling