GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Cup Holder In Dash Stuck Closed; 1996 Suburban

I am a newbie to the truck club, and a newbie to my Suburban. I have a 1996 GMC K2500 4X4 diesel 6.5 L. The cup holder in the dash just to the right of the radio is stuck closed. I am afraid to apply too much pressure. I have looked on this forum and a couple of other forums, but I must be the only person with the problem. I have a Chilton's manual for 1988-98 full size trucks, and of course there is no mention of cup holders. Does any one have a clue about how to open the cup holder or where on line I might be able to get a drawing of the actual cup holder? Is there a secret lever or spring that may be stuck?
    Jim - Louisiana. Started from Texas, Gig'em; 1996 GMC Suburban K2500 4X4 6.5 L Turbo Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by 2091B22 View Post
    I am a newbie to the truck club, and a newbie to my Suburban. I have a 1996 GMC K2500 4X4 diesel 6.5 L. The cup holder in the dash just to the right of the radio is stuck closed. I am afraid to apply too much pressure. I have looked on this forum and a couple of other forums, but I must be the only person with the problem. I have a Chilton's manual for 1988-98 full size trucks, and of course there is no mention of cup holders. Does any one have a clue about how to open the cup holder or where on line I might be able to get a drawing of the actual cup holder? Is there a secret lever or spring that may be stuck?
    Too much crap has been spilled in it. It is corroded. There is a friction/sorta/spring/catch that rusts. It takes both hands to open the one in my 1999, which is the same piece of hardware. You're talking about the one that unfolds like a butterfly when open? Just pull it hard enough, and then WD40 the thing once open, and wipe it down good.

Jr. Apprentice

Well it worked. I applied more pressure than normal and it pulled out. What I discovered was the swing out cup holder was gone, and a broken piece had wedged in the mechanism somehow. When the cup holder finally pulled out, I was able to retreive the broken part from the back of the area. Now the cup holder pulls in and out with no trouble. I have ordered a used fully functioning cup holder off of Ebay.