GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tire Pressure Monitor Woes 2004 Suburban

Can't keep the "Service Tire Pressure Monitor" message off the DIC; fyi: 2004 Suburban with 54,000 miles on the ODO.

Repeatedly have checked the tire pressures, and they have ALWAYS been maintained since the Suburban was bought new.
    I have pulled the PCM 2 and PCM 1 fuses out of the underhood fuse box to purge the code, and that only works for a day or two.
    Also have tried pressing both the lock/unlock trnamitter buttons together to put the monitor into reset mode, but apparently this vehicle does not share that type of program.

My thoughts are; the vehcle is over 7 years old, and if the valve stem/monitors have batteries in them, it's likely they need replacement.
    Any facts, or known procedure to assist with this issue?

As always, Thank You for Your assistance!
    "I Hate When That Happens!"

Master Mechanic

When my father got his 04 Tahoe, he had the same trouble. I tried deleting the code it was throwing but to no avail. The sensor went bad on it, and needed replacing. He told us its a common issue, because all the abuse they take. So thats probably the trouble your having.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

That's a big 10-4.
    Figured that I'd try and hold out until April or May, have the tires replaced then, and replace all 4 wheel sensors at the same time.

I don't use My Suburban much during Winter, it's used more for Our Summer trips up to the Northern states.

Until then, I'll just remove and replace the PCM-2 fuse before I drive the truck.

The "Check tire monitor system" or what ever it's called, display comes on on my 04 suburban some times, I just ignore it, is there a problem with just ignoring it?
    Terry

Sr. Apprentice

You could be right that the batteries are weak. but i dont think the keyless works to train on a suburban. You can try relearning them too by doing this: Apply parking brake, enough so the warning light comes on especially if you never use it. then shut driver's door, and turn ignition to run. Now turn the headlamp switch from the off position where it always is to the park lamp position and back 4 times. The horn should honk. Starting with the left front add or let out air for ten seconds and stop if sensor is still able to communicate horn will honk proceed to right front and change pressure the same way then right rear and left rear in that order. hopefully they need to only be relearned. good luck. Andy

I bought 4 new AC Delco sensors for an eventual tire change.
    Tires aren't worn enough yet for an R&R, but since the new GM sensors were only $36 apiece, I bought them while the price was low.

I'll prolly hold off until May or June of this year before I lay out the green stamps.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wildmans92 View Post
    You could be right that the batteries are weak. but i dont think the keyless works to train on a suburban. You can try relearning them too by doing this: Apply parking brake, enough so the warning light comes on especially if you never use it. then shut driver's door, and turn ignition to run. Now turn the headlamp switch from the off position where it always is to the park lamp position and back 4 times. The horn should honk. Starting with the left front add or let out air for ten seconds and stop if sensor is still able to communicate horn will honk proceed to right front and change pressure the same way then right rear and left rear in that order. hopefully they need to only be relearned. good luck. Andy
    BTW: TY for the tech information!