GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Master Mechanic

Well I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and agree that it may be a case of him picking on someone that is out of state. Good luck with fighting it and keep us posted on what happens. Showing up in uniform may certainly help!

Seems to me if ur n the state ur tag is you won't get pulled over. When I switched to a bama tag and then went home to ga I got a tint tickets from my local cops. Also got pulled over in Florida for tail lights being to black. Always pickin on out of state cars it seems
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

I love texas.. never have any issues from cops about little petty crap like this.. I've been pulled over for my headlight being out.. but he didnt give me a ticket.. just told me to get it fixed. Tint has never been an issue with me either

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

It's VA Beach -- which makes a killing on out-of-state visitors (be they military or students) ... and needs to do so in order to pay for its larger-than-usual police force. This was a clear case of revenue generation and nothing more. Most routine traffic stops are just that -- revenue generation. Even speeding citations are all about revenue, not safety. (Proof - US D.O.T. Study On Effects Of Raising/Lowering Speed Limits: http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel.html)

Don't sell your vehicle over it. Don't even remove the tint over it unless you plan on staying in VA Beach with it and fear another ticket. Apparently they can't make you remove the tint unless you get nailed for a second infraction of the same law. Here's the basis for my last statement (which may or may not be legally accurate; consult an attorney if you're unsure): http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law...int_va.sp.html

Surreal

P.S. I am not an attorney. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, either...

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    I grew up in Va Beach and never heard of anyone who had their vehicles registered in another state to need a Va inspection. Many of the cities have done away with the city stickers. I think it is unreasonable to think that someone who is visiting a state should/will know what the tint laws are for that locale. I have had many occasions to have conversations with people in the Va Beach police department while I was trying to join that department. The thing I came away with from many of them is an anti military vibe. Why? I don't know because many of them are prior service . There are many in the reserves also.
    Yea I never understood the local anti Military vibe either, I was stationed there 3 different times and got the same impression everytime, friends of mine stationed there have commented on the same issue. The first time I was stationed there during the welcome aboard class everyone was required to attend they told us the natives werent real friendly and to assume the attitude you were visiting a foreign country.
    The inspection regulation took effect in 99 and was supposed to be enforced by each local base commander, on Norfolk Naval Base every car that was registered on base had to get a local inspection or they werent allowed on base, Oceana, Dam Neck, and Little Creek I never had an issue over inspection, New Port News Ship Yard and Langley AFB required local inspections too.
    Like Erica said though ignorance of the law isnt an excuse, most police officers dont hassle out of state drivers for this type stuff, unless they want to generate revenue or need a reason to stop someone just to get a look in the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    well, yesterday, the wife and I ran down to the lynnhaven mall and grabbed some lunch and saw act of valor. very good movie BTW. acting was well done, fairly realistic. Ending even jerked a few tears. The wife told me there were alot of women in the bathroom fixing their make up after words.

When we left the mall, we went to a dealer to look at a truck again, wanted her input on one I saw ( was alot more reasonable then that all terrain I was looking at) about 5 we left the dealer and headed home on 264. driving along about 65, and all the sudden Virginia's state finest is behind me with his lights on. pull over figuring it was a light out or something, because there were TONS of people passing me, speed limit was 60 there anyhow.

so i stop on the closed shoulder lane, and he starts yelling at me over the loudspeaker. Between wind and traffic I cant understand a word. He comes walking up yelling how Im stopped in travel lane (not sure how, as the shouler was closed, no cars) and to pull up to an emergency pull off. go up there, and he comes up asking why I have illegal tint on my front windows.

told him as far as I knew, I wasn't illegal. upon him asking me were I got it done and telling him, he told me that the tint shop has been taken to cort twice for illegal tint jobs, and he (the tropper) nabs 20+ people a week for it. thing is, its been ion since june, and this is the first time Ive been hassled about it. I see tons of cars tinted way darker then my truck running around with VIRGINIA plates on em, and they seem fine.

the tint shop told me as long as i didnt go darker then the factory tint on the rear windows, which its not, I was fine. apparently, thats not the case. My truck is plated for Minnesota, and he imformed me the tint laws there are the same as Virginia. I looked then up when we got home last night, and they are. Thing is when I was home on leave, I went past numerous local (county) and state troopers, and none of them bothered me, so I have to wonder, am I really iillegel, or is he just picking on someone out of state?

also, not to say he was unprofessional, but he was kinda a dick about it. very much, this was all my fault, and so on.

anywho, I have a cort summons for the 5th of April. I plan on going in in full uniform with pictures showing the tint completely removed.
    then again, maybe ill just trade the truck in and show a sales slip saying I dont own it anymore.

Alex
    OK. My 2 cents. Before changing anything go to a couple of reputable shops and have them meter the tint. Hopefully there meter is calibrated differently than the officers. If it wasn't by much three conflicting statements with meter find. May just save you a few dollars and the aggravation of removing tint or selling your vehicle. Like radar guns, there is a +/- on the calibrations of the tint meters.
    Just an idea and something that might make the officer look foolish in court for being unprofessional.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

I actually just heard it is illegal to have ANY tint on your front door windows, but I will double check that with a buddy that is a State Trooper. The way I look at it, I have my truck registered in Mi, they pull me over, and I am just passing through as far as they need to know...ya know I gotta say, Viriginia Law Enforcement(at least in my area) is a big joke in my eyes...but hey...what do I know right?

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Oh and also, yes Act of Valor it sounds good, going to see it this weekend. Then big hatred of military by cops round here. NO you don't have to get inspected and all that in VA if you are out-of-state registered. HOWEVER I think it's a two state rule, if your state has inspections or emission laws, and it's within two states, then yes you have to. By the way, to the former military that mentioned the whole inspection for base commander deal, that used to be the case, but they are doing away with that.

That sucks. Louisiana State Police get real bad about it once every 3 or 4 months about tint and petty crap, but if you're military, they'll shake your hand and tell you to carry on and Thanks.

Oh coming from a family with 7 Police Officers...I 2nd what Erica put.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    well, yesterday, the wife and I ran down to the lynnhaven mall and grabbed some lunch and saw act of valor. very good movie BTW. acting was well done, fairly realistic. Ending even jerked a few tears. The wife told me there were alot of women in the bathroom fixing their make up after words.

When we left the mall, we went to a dealer to look at a truck again, wanted her input on one I saw ( was alot more reasonable then that all terrain I was looking at) about 5 we left the dealer and headed home on 264. driving along about 65, and all the sudden Virginia's state finest is behind me with his lights on. pull over figuring it was a light out or something, because there were TONS of people passing me, speed limit was 60 there anyhow.

so i stop on the closed shoulder lane, and he starts yelling at me over the loudspeaker. Between wind and traffic I cant understand a word. He comes walking up yelling how Im stopped in travel lane (not sure how, as the shouler was closed, no cars) and to pull up to an emergency pull off. go up there, and he comes up asking why I have illegal tint on my front windows.

told him as far as I knew, I wasn't illegal. upon him asking me were I got it done and telling him, he told me that the tint shop has been taken to cort twice for illegal tint jobs, and he (the tropper) nabs 20+ people a week for it. thing is, its been ion since june, and this is the first time Ive been hassled about it. I see tons of cars tinted way darker then my truck running around with VIRGINIA plates on em, and they seem fine.

the tint shop told me as long as i didnt go darker then the factory tint on the rear windows, which its not, I was fine. apparently, thats not the case. My truck is plated for Minnesota, and he imformed me the tint laws there are the same as Virginia. I looked then up when we got home last night, and they are. Thing is when I was home on leave, I went past numerous local (county) and state troopers, and none of them bothered me, so I have to wonder, am I really iillegel, or is he just picking on someone out of state?

also, not to say he was unprofessional, but he was kinda a dick about it. very much, this was all my fault, and so on.

anywho, I have a cort summons for the 5th of April. I plan on going in in full uniform with pictures showing the tint completely removed.
    then again, maybe ill just trade the truck in and show a sales slip saying I dont own it anymore.

Alex
    well well well, here is something that i to have been a victim of in the state of VA. several things to go over here.

the cops usually wont pull you over on a tinted window violation in a non gang banger or teenager looking truck or car. its a lame ticket and they usually reserve that bs law for pulling you over when they suspect something else. so that explains why you never got pulled over before

as for the cop being a dick, well its virginia. enjoy your time there surrounded by prudes and judgmental law breaking liberals in charge. that entire state has become over populated with over bearing opinion dictating policy and law. its mind boggling seeing the difference in behavior of law enforcement by crossing over the NC. i respect NC cops. they are for the most part down to earth and doing there job unlike VA cops.

as for the window tint, when i was in VA it was 0.00 tint for the windshield and 50% for the driver and passenger windows. same for all other windows unless its darker from the factory. VA cops have a window tint meter assigned to there cruisers. this does not give a 100% true or false reading. as for example, my suburban has a 35% tint for the front windows, the meter that the va bch cop used shown 6%. my windows still had mud water residue on the outside and nicotine residue on the inside. never the less 35% was below the allowable tint in VA. my truck was currently registered in VA. i since transferred it to IL. i paid the bs fine of $300 for the tint and decided after that screw it, i paid to have tint now and left it on. never got pulled over for it again.

as for your court date, trust me, your better off paying the fine before the date and stay away from the court. in VA you are guilty before proven innocent and will be found guilty with max fines unless you have an attorney. you said you got this ticket on 264, so i assume near Norfolk or Ociena. the cops, courts ext there hate military and will spit you out. stay clear when you can. nice to hear they are finally working on 264, when i was there you nearly needed a suv just to travel that interstate.

DO NOT BUY A TRUCK OR CAR IN VA. i first purchased my suburban there. after your in their system they think you own property tax on your truck for life. its been since 07 when i was last registered in that state and they still send me a year tax bill and every year i have to pay an attorney to tell them to stick it. that state is an infection of the soul. if you get pulled over by interpole, they seem to be a little more down to earth but give it time. they will become infected with the VA corruption virus soon enough.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GMCErica View Post
    Alex,
    I am sorry about your whole experience and I know that we are friends, but I am gonna to comment as a Officer/Srgt now to your post. I love how everyone calls an Officer a "dick" a "jerk" and "unprofessional" on every thread that is posted about an experience with an Officer that didn't go their way. Yes, some Officers act like that, but no-one knows what its like approaching a vehicle, especially with dark tint. It is unsettling, to say the least and we are trained to do whatever we can to make sure that we go home at the end of the day. All about Officer safety, and if we need to yell over a speaker, pull out a service gun/use of force weapon, or scream for the person to get out of the vehicle or cooperate, that is what we will do.

Most of the vehicles on the road have some form of illegal modification, and most people DO NOT do the research to find out what the laws are. Doesn't matter where you live, or if your visiting, you should know what is legal and what is not. Most people don't get caught, so they continue to break the law. People do that all the time, whine and complain.. "I didn't know" .. IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE FOR BREAKING THE LAW.

Alex, I probably would have pulled you over too, if I thought that your tint was too dark. Sorry, the Officers are trained and they know the laws when it comes to modifications...If you modify your vehicle in anyway, you should be doing the research to find out what it legal and what is illegal. Most shops know what is illegal and what is legal and they break that barrier all the time. Then the person who has the mod, usually pays for it.. I would go back to the shop and tell them what happened and see if they will replace it or scrape it off for no charge.

Just scrape the tint off, or get a new tint and go to court and be honest and hopefully the Judge will reduce the fine.. Hope everything works out... Good luck, sorry you had to go through that experience. * Glad you liked the movie... Can't wait to see it...
    not saying anything here so much about this guys ticket, but i have been to VA. i was there for 4years. i can feel for this guy in aspect to the cop being a dick. they are bad there. the worse i have ever seen. i have been treated better by middle easterners than by the VA cops. government wise that state in overwhelmed with the word FAIL. only state in the union that will mandate a fine and corrective punitive punishment before your actual court date.
    Last edited by mudpuppy; 02-28-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    DO NOT BUY A TRUCK OR CAR IN VA. i first purchased my suburban there. after your in their system they think you own property tax on your truck for life. its been since 07 when i was last registered in that state and they still send me a year tax bill and every year i have to pay an attorney to tell them to stick it. that state is an infection of the soul. if you get pulled over by interpole, they seem to be a little more down to earth but give it time. they will become infected with the VA corruption virus soon enough.
    See I had that problem as well, but I have bought 3 vehicles in Virginia. And the first one I didn't know about the property tax BS, BUT on the second two I did. I told em I would not buy a car from them if they didn't register it in Michigan for me. They did just that, haven't gotten a thing about property tax since. And even with the first one, I ignored it for a few months, they finally called me and I told em, "don't know why you're calling, I ain't payin it, I am not a resident of Virignia" she said "what'd you mean you are not gonna pay it", I responded sarcastically with, "you ain't making me pay a property tax to fund a sh** hole of a state I don't live in..., I am military, I don't live here" she said dumbfounded "ok..."and exempted my account ROFL