GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Default Upgrade just Radio?

Hey Y'all, first post in here and my first cheaper plan for my 04 Silverado is to upgrade audio alittle. So I was curious, is upgrading the Radio itself enough or should I upgrade all the speakers as well? With that, I was thinkin I would just upgrade to a JVC or Pioneer. Anyone think those are too cheap? And something else would be better?

Alright. It all depends on what YOU really want. Upgrading your head unit(I would go with a Kenwood head unit) doesnt do much for you at all unless you do the whole system. Do you want it to be louder, or a cleaner sound. Do you want more bass? Just kinda give us a run down of what you would like to get out of an upgrade.
    Schrub!:sign0011:

Ok I got ya boss, basically what I'd be looking for is alittle louder, but mostly REALLY clean sounding, if it doesn't blow windows out when I crank it up that's ok. I want it loud enough to where you have to raise your voice just to say something, but it has to be clean. Because right now it I turn it up to a decent volume and it sounds HORRIBLE, so it eliminates any chance of crankin it up. When it comes to bass...eh...I ain't big into bass. Has to have some Bass, but I don't wanna be drivin down the road and have all my body panels rattlin from bass. Hope that helps.

Ok now i gotcha. For a cleaner sound you will definitlty have to go with new speakers and if you want to be able to have good quality sound at high volume an amp is a must. If you dont have an amp your speakers tend to crackle with just a head unit powering them. These days your options are almost endles they are making 300+ watt amps that are only as big as say a fire alarm. Its all up to you. And if you dont want much bass I'd go for an 8 or 10 inch sub, but aftermarket mid range speakers will give you a little bit more bass than you have now. So I am reccomending a full system upgrade. You would be very happy with it, and realistically you can do it all yourself.

Ohyea I wasn't worried bout anyone doin it for me, that's the easy part lol However I know an upgraded head unit will produce more amps then the stock head unit, so as you said, I really only (for now) need to worry bout the head unit and speakers. What is the best combo of head unit and speakers for what am looking for AND won't rape my wallet. You mentioned a Kenwood head unit so is there a particular model that I should look at?

The audio upgrade I put into my 2004 Sierra is noted in my signature, below. I'm VERY pleased with it. Reasons:
    1. The stock systems are junk -- even the Bose system. For this reason alone I recommend a full system replacement. (Note that I said replacement and not upgrade. As in take out the old stuff ... spare yourself the weight and reclaim the space. Even the old wires if you're so-inclined.)
    2. I like the GARMIN navigation that my Kenwood head unit has; it's easy to use, intuitive, and upgradeable. Having GARMIN GPS was worth a few more dollars to me over Pioneer or JVC head units.
    3. The Infinity speakers I put in are decent and are well-suited for use with my chosen amp. They aren't too spendy. Note that they have very bright, crisp highs even with their manual attentuation activated. They're more than enough for my needs -- but someone who doesn't like crisp highs might want to choose another speaker.
    4. If you have steering wheel controls plan out whether you intend to keep them and, if so, do it while you emplace your head-unit to save time. Avoid the PAC SWI-JACK as it's an unreliable POS. The Metra Axxess AWSC unit is a far simpler and more reliable solution. (I've used both, by the way...)
    5. Use your own wiring and not the stock wiring. As @tigersdl65 says, do it right the first time. The rule of 1/10/100 applies where doing it right will cost you a penny the first time ... but if you do it wrong and have to re-do it then it ends up costing you a dime ... and if you have to touch it yet a third time it ends up costing you a dollar. This is, of course, an analogy for time and money; you get the idea.
    6. If you care about clean sound then I suggest that you sound deaden your truck. Reduced exterior noise provides a cleaner listening environment for you AND reduces the echo chamber effect you get when bouncing sound waves off the inside of a metal can -- which is effectively what our cabs are. It's time-consuming to do it to the whole cab (which I've done -- see pics in my album) ... and you'll need about 200 sq. ft. of sound deadening material if you plan to do every surface (roof, floor, rear wall, outer door skin, inner door skin, A and B pillars, dash, center console, etc. etc.) ... but it's absolutely worth the hours you'll spend doing it.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 02-27-2012 at 04:13 PM.

SurrealOne has got it right. Im glad someone else finally gave you a reply. Its always better to have more than one opinion!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by tigersdl65 View Post
    I honestly don't know too much about different models. I cant even tell you the model of the one iv'e got. But just a basic KW head unit with a cd player and aux jack is all you need. There really isnt much difference in them until you get to the models with lcd displays. Any head unit is gonna give you about 50 watts per speaker if you upgrade as apposed to the maybe 30 you are getting now.
    Speakers: I like my kicker stuff, my reason being its fairly cheap and of decent quality, you arent gonna blow them, they will run forever. BUT they are not the best thing out there. JL audio makes really good mid range and tweets, memphis also makes a really good mid range speaker. DO NOT get pioneer or sony(they are cheap for a reason). MTX makes a good speaker and arent too expensive. there is also JBL. And since you arent running an amp go with 2 or 3 way speakers.
    My suggestion from past experience is to go ahead and do it right the first time. Ive poured money into my audio systems because I did it wrong the first time and wasn't happy with my setup.mIm sure you have a local audio shop that can help in your selection, but theyll get every penny out of you possible. So I suggest Ebay or finding the best deal online for what you want. Let me know if I can be of anymore help.
    Please do not go by what is said above...Ok first off Most Good aftermarket Head units will give you 17-22 Watts RMS at best No radio will give 50x4 I don't care what it says on the Box...Your factory radio If just stock and not bose gives about 13-15 watts RMS,, A good after market radio like the Kenwood with a built in Crossover will improve the stock speakers. Not by much but noticable..With the crossover you will be able to cut off the Mid bass so it will sound cleaner at higher volume. If you are going to replace the factory speakers Stay away from 3 way or 4 way speakers.. (Pioneer,Sony) Unless you like your ears to bleed and NO Midbass at all..More tweeters in such a small speaker ( 5 1/4-6 1/2) is just a Bright and Harch sound...True most speakers do want more power to give you the Clean deep Midbass you would like so a 30-50x4 amp would be nice. but if you don't want to spend the money now you could go for a nice set of JL Audio TR's or Focal Access If you can find them. They will sound good with lower power.

And Please stay away from Best Buy....... Hope this helps.....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Please do not go by what is said above...Ok first off Most Good aftermarket Head units will give you 17-22 Watts RMS at best No radio will give 50x4 I don't care what it says on the Box...Your factory radio If just stock and not bose gives about 13-15 watts RMS,, A good after market radio like the Kenwood with a built in Crossover will improve the stock speakers. Not by much but noticable..With the crossover you will be able to cut off the Mid bass so it will sound cleaner at higher volume. If you are going to replace the factory speakers Stay away from 3 way or 4 way speakers.. (Pioneer,Sony) Unless you like your ears to bleed and NO Midbass at all..More tweeters in such a small speaker ( 5 1/4-6 1/2) is just a Bright and Harch sound...True most speakers do want more power to give you the Clean deep Midbass you would like so a 30-50x4 amp would be nice. but if you don't want to spend the money now you could go for a nice set of JL Audio TR's or Focal Access If you can find them. They will sound good with lower power.

And Please stay away from Best Buy....... Hope this helps.....
    Quoted for truth.

Oh wow, y'all just got so in depth I will have to print this screen off and take it to best buy to buy my deck and speakers lol

Now Bout the Deck, I notice you, SurrealOne, said get the one with GPS and it has touch screen...yea that's WAY outta my price range for the moment and also, I hate GPS lol Now I do like how you mentioned "replace, not upgrade" because that's what I should've said from the beginning.

Now about what Enkeiavalanche said, what is a built in crossover and it sounds like the general cencus is that Kenwood has best bang for the buck? And with speakers it sounds like JL Audio TR's are the way to go WITHOUT having to get an amp?

Please correct me if I missed something, or misunderstand something, because y'all are makin me feel like a TOTAL N00b lol

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by