GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Does Detroit TrueTrac come stock on 14 bolt diffs?

Does anyone know if the Silverado 14 bolt diffs came stock with Detroit TrueTrac. I would like to upgrade my Tahoe to a 14 Bolt TrueTrac, and I thought that I could get one from the junk yard and modify it for my 2003 Z71 Tahoe. Thanks.
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71

As far as I know, the only differential types offered from the factory are open diff or the Eaton gov lock (G80).
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

MrShorty's right.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

A Detroit locker came in 14 bolts that were put in military trucks, but that's it. Like MrShorty said, trucks equipped with the G80 option have eaton limited slip lockers in them. If you have a 10.5" 14 bolt axle, the Detroit locker is cheaper than your average locker because it doesn't require a new carrier.

Your Tahoe doesn't have a 14 bolt in it, does it? 14 bolts were only put in 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, and depending on the 3/4 ton truck, it may have had either a 9.5" semi-floating 14-bolt or a 10.5" full floating 14-bolt.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

CrawDaddy,

Yes, the Tahoe comes with a 10 Bolt Diff. The Plan is to get the Silverado 14 Bolt and fit it to the Tahoe. First, I will remove the 10 Bolt, and cut the axle housings off. I will cut the 14 Bolt's axle housings off. Machine the resulting Diff with a press fit sleeve and weld the 10 Bolt's axle housings onto the 14 Bolt's sleeve and Diff. That gives me the 14 Bolt Diff with the Tahoe's suspension. I have ordered Dutchman forged 31 spline axles with the 6 lug bolts for the wheels. I guess that I will have to get a new Detroit TrueTrac. The 14 Bolt came with the Eaton Gov Loc. I am planning on changing the gears on the front and back to 4.56:1. To complete the change over, I will get a Mag HyTech cover. I forgot, I have to shorten the drive shaft, and replace the U-Joints with some new forged ones.

The G80, is only a designation for a "limited slip" "type" of axle
    My 02 Avalanche had the G80 RPO, which was the gov lock type
    My C5500 had the G80 RPO, which is the torsen type which is closest to the True-trac

Wow, that sounds ridiculously complicated. If I were doing that, I'd just stick the axle under the rear and change the fronts out to 8 lug. Either that, or find a semi-float 9.5" 14 bolt from a light duty 3/4 ton truck and drop that under there. It's already 6 lug. Both the semi-float and full-float that did not come from under a dually should be the same axle width as the 10 bolt. Just the spring and shock perches should need to be moved. Either way, you'll either need the driveshaft changed to the 1350 series u-joint or use a trick u-joint to do the conversion.

Complicated?? I forgot to mention that I am machining, and welding on new axle housing ends to capture the axle shaft new oversize end bearings in a 3/4 float; or dare I say it on this forum, ford style. It eliminates the "C" clip, in case I run it at the strip. I have gone to far to back out now. It should be unique, to say the least.