GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default High, I'm a new member. Need Candid & Knowledgable feedback for TRUCK TIRES.

I drive a Chevy 2500HD regular gas. 90% pavement and no heavy hauling. I currently have LT285 75r16 tires on factory wheels with a leveler installed. I like the look. And great wear. But I want better MPG and a smoother ride. I was considering LTX AT2 Michelins 285 or 265 75r16 vs. Nitto Grapplers. I don't care about price. Is it possible to run 70R16 275-285 on factory wheels or not? I heard the "D" was smoother than "E". I would appreciate some real candid and knowledgable feedback about the best performing tire and my questions above. Much Thanks.

Chevy Hog

I would say go to the D rated tire which is 8 ply instead of E rated 10 ply. I had an 05 2500 D Max and run 285/75/16's and just went down a little in air pressure. I think I did around 50 or so in the front and around 45 or so in the rear. If you watch the tread after you drive it a littlebit you can see now much tread you are using. If theres a different shade on the tread 1/2" from the outside edge let a little more out until they show the same color all the way across.
    Just remember the 75 # is sidewall and the more you have the better the ride. If I can help with anything just let me know.

LURCH!!!!!

By the way I run LTX M&S 2's and don't think you can beat them!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by LURCH; 02-29-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club Chevy Hog!!! You may want to look at the Nitto Terra Grapplers. They have a less aggressive tread pattern and from what I have heard they wear pretty good.

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

I agree with above I think you'll definitely get a smoother ride with the D rated tires. Not sure if you'll gain any mileage but I wouldn't think it would hurt! I think you should stick with the 285 tire. like you said they look good and a 265 is just a baby tire on a 2500!

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Welcome to the G M T C ! I agree with the Michelins being quite and excellant ride.

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

I would stick with the 285's. As far as ride quality I would stick with the Michelin's. And welcome to the club.

I appreciate your help & suggestions. So does that mean I can run 285 70r17 tires on my truck vs 285 75r16? I was trying to get to the "D" rather than "E" rating for a smoother ride. I only pull a boat and atv's around. I'm either going with the ms2 or at2 for sure. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

Thanks for your input. Looking at your truck....can you tell me the best performance muffler that I could add to improve mpg if possible? I really don't want anything louder than the stock sound on it. Do you have any experience with the Hyper Tech or other programers that enhance performance? Do you know someone on here that does that could provide me with some solid feedback?

Welcome to the site Chevy Hog. I can't tell you anything on the tires except these guys will lead you right. I am a street tire guy and I like Bridgestone and Michelin. Enjoy the site. Now on the muffler, I would suggest the 1 in 2 out Magnaflow. This is the best combo for Gas mileage, power, and sound. IMO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sig.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	35421

WELCOME TO GMTC!! pull up a tailgate and sit a spell.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Pardon my late response but I've been traveling for work. Welcome to the club!