GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Sounds like fun Sarge.
    Me I am thankful for another day on this side.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

I'm thankful for the friendship and camaraderie we enjoy on this site. There are some very good people here and it becomes particularly notable when they go out of their way for one another in the real world despite this site and their trucks being their only ties to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I'm thankful for the friendship and camaraderie we enjoy on this site. There are some very good people here and it becomes particularly notable when they go out of their way for one another in the real world despite this site and their trucks being their only ties to one another.

Yup. My feelings resemble that remark. Well said and That is what I am thankful for. SurRealones ability to say what others only think.

This morning I am thankful to have my adjustable drop hitch research done.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

This morning is a cool summer morning, and the birds are singing their morning songs, the air is cool and crisp, a sure sign it will be hot today before the rain comes, the crops are mostly seeded around me, as the summer finally rolls in. Mystic has found her fox friends, and they have 6 kits for her to play with, the trees have all leafed out now, the grass is green, and I am here to enjoy and appreciate these mornings... for this I am thankful.
    And as always I am thankful for my family, friends and all the folks at GMTC.... and a special thanks to all the well wishers that sent me get well soon wishes.....

Today I am thankful for my last day of working for free. I enjoy volunteering as it has kept me busy, But I dislike the way volunteer agencies take advantage of volunteers to a fault and then throw them under the bus to cover their own butts.
    I also find it ironic that most agencies using volunteers have high priced administrative officers. Such as the VA, Boy Scouts of America and others who survive on volunteers but yet take huge paychecks home.
    Although I am thankful for the opportunities to stay busy and I have enjoyed all the volunteering that I have done with just a few exceptions of those experiences.
    I will continue to find time to volunteer in the future just hopefully not full time, as that makes paying bills difficult

Quote Originally Posted by Coach24 View Post
    I dislike the way volunteer agencies take advantage of volunteers to a fault and then throw them under the bus to cover their own butts.I also find it ironic that most agencies using volunteers have high priced administrative officers.
    When I volunteered for the Missouri Department of Conservation as a RSO and line officer on one of their three state-run ranges I was treated EXCEPTIONALLY well ... and the three paid administrative employees at the facility were far from what I'd consider well-paid. The facility needs 5-6 people at any given time to function at maximum efficiency/safety -- meaning volunteers are -essential- to its operation; it can get by with as few as 4 if all are on their toes ... but shooting time is reduced for shooters with fewer people running the range because the line and RSO duties take longer with fewer people.

I showed up on time when I was scheduled and I was as reliable as clockwork. There were other volunteers who did the same. All volunteers (even the slackers) were treated well; the administrative employees know the range doesn't stay open without volunteer efforts. Heck, the grounds get cleaned and the toilets scrubbed by offenders serving their community service hours, so even that's unpaid labor (and a good use of it, IMHO).

MDC's ranges have inexpensive but useful awards for service hours among volunteers ... pins, hats, and shirts early on ... and with enough hours (2000+), engraved firearms with service dates. They also have the leeway to send volunteers to their employee education programs for the cost of materials (which is low). My instructor certifications are examples of this, as I told them early on to save the pins and hats and such for people who would use/wear them; I wouldn't. They knew I was going to go through the NRA instructor classes (on my own dime) and despite also knowing I was going to move out of the area -- sent me with their paid people, anyway ... as a 'thank you'. It cost them little, saved me lots, and was just a heck of a nice thing to do.

I am thankful that my volunteer experience was apparently a hell of a lot better than Coach's has been.

Surreal

P.S. MDC ranges are funded out of the MDC budget, which comes from 1/8 of 1% sales tax that Missouri added to state tax via an amendment in 1937 -- the monies are raised and set aside specifically for conservation use ... which includes outdoor education such as shooting, trapping, etc. i.e. There's no frivlous waste of monies that could be going to education or something else; MDC gets its funds directly from taxes the residents of the state voted to set aside for conservation purposes. It's arguably a model among the states for how to do conservation (which is the managed use of resources; not to be confused with preservation)
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 06-07-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Oh I just had a few things that were unpleasant but I worked through them and looked for positive energy and found it. As long as I could get Vets to laugh and smile it was well worth the tiny things.
    I have Vets call daily to talk as they miss the interaction , as I do. But politics seems to over shadow the VETS well being /needs.
    I am truly thankful for all of those who serve in the US Military

Quote Originally Posted by Coach24 View Post
    Oh I just had a few things that were unpleasant but I worked through them and looked for positive energy and found it. As long as I could get Vets to laugh and smile it was well worth the tiny things.
    I have Vets call daily to talk as they miss the interaction , as I do. But politics seems to over shadow the VETS well being /needs.
    I am truly thankful for all of those who serve in the US Military
    When I lived in Tenn used to to Mc Donalds Sat. mornings and sit next a group of Vets that met there. Should have heard some of the BS and jokes, made me feel at home ( missed my Dad) and very grateful for their service.

---------- Post added at 05:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 AM ----------

Even though I could use a day off, thankful that I'm working today

2012 Silverado

I'm thankful our electricity came back on this morning. Some yahoo driving crazy in the rain left the road and took out a telephone pole so we were sitting in the dark for an hour and a half.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage