GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default How to firm up the seats?

I bought a used 2005 Silverado 2500HD with 74K miles. I knew the seat was a bit sagging when I first bought it (and used that to my advantage in negotiating). Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. When I drive over bumps, the seat launches me into the air. While fun, it's not the most comfortable or the safest. Any ideas on how much I can do to firm up the seat? I'll probably take it to an upholstry shop to check out, but wanted to get thoughts first. Should the springs be replaced, just add padding, ....?

The seat is full manual adjust and the truck is extended cab, so the seat belt is integrated into the seat.

When I got my '03, I felt like I was sitting on the floor! I took the seat apart and noticed that the springs from front to back under the seat cushion (which were nothing more than 5 to 6 wires tied from the back to the front) had been cutting into the seat foam. Think of a cheese slicer here. I pulled the cushion out of the springs and cut a piece of cardboard to go between the springs and foam. I wrapped the cardboard in an old towel and re-assembled. The seat felt great after that.

The upholstery is only held on to the seat with plastic clips. there are no hog rings. you can unsnap them and pull the material off. This would be the time to toss teh covers into the washing machine. DO NOT DRY THEM, however. Let them hang on a line until dry.

Hope this helps!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Does that apply to leather seats too?

Sure it does. they are the same underneath the coverings.

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Sure it does. they are the same underneath the coverings.
    I lifted the seat, and the wires did not cut through the padding. However, I inserted cardboard anyway between the wires and foam and it seems to have dampened the spring in the seat a bit. The seat still needs more padding though, so I'll see if I can add some. Thanks for the tips.

Wrap the cardboard with an old towel. That will give a little bit.

Glad it helped if even a little.