GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default you may laugh....air box on 09 colo. 3.7 l5 z71

you guys might think this funny, but i tried it and it worked great. i took the top of the air box off,disgarded the filter, took a pair of nylon stockings from the old lady and streched it across the bottom of the air box. put the top back on buttoned everything else on. now i have gobs of cool air going into the throttle body. i noticed the difference in power right away. along with the exhaust cut out open, it scoots pretty good. now i know some of you guys are thinking this guy is a tight wad. just go buy a k&n or someother brand. but with the money i saved, i bought and had installed the cut out. so i killed two birds with one stone. the whole swap took about 10 mins. i hope the old girl isn't looking for her stockings.............lol
    Last edited by 09colo; 03-02-2012 at 03:10 PM.

It sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how much I would trust the stocking. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

I'm all for the cheap/free jimmy-rigged upgrades but i would be worried that the stocking is gonna get sucked into the intake. keep an eye on that
    '00 Silverado 2500. Whipple charged 6.0L

50# injectors. TR6plugs. Nelson tune. Dual 3" exhaust [headman headers, X-pipe, magnaflow glasspacks] Torsion key and blocks lift

Default air box

if you strecht it over the lower part of the air box good, and make sure the lid is on tight. you should have no problem. have a couple hundred miles on mine and all is well.

definately gonna flow well, but not sure if its filtering very much dirt
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

should be as good as k&n filter, i would think. i mean if you live in a area that has dusty or sandy conditions i'd keep the paper filter in. under normal driving conditions i think it would be ok..........time will tell.

Thats cool idea for city,but go paper for dusty conditions.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Hope shes not Missing them yet??? I see he has not been on in a while..mm
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X