GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default payload capacity

My truck is a 92 Chevy Cheyenne work truck half ton reg cab long bed 700r4 transmission . I will be hauling dirt Tuesday. And need to know whats the payload capacity on this truck? Its a 4.3 v6 and I don't think the motor will reach its limit before the brakes or suspension. I'm very pleased with the torque it has for a v6. Any other info feel free to throw it in. Thanks guys

Hi, Dakota:

If you can give the VIN to your Chevy dealer, they can look it up on their system, and tell you the weight capacity. It depends in a lot of cases what options were selected, but that rig likely had one or two ratings depending on what was ordered.

Having said that, dirt has a high density especially when moist. In a half ton truck you may be able to fill the bed with dirt, but it may overload the rear axle. I guess what I am saying is try to load it less than all the way full.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Is there a way to look up my vin online? The local Chevy dealer is less than pleasant.

There are sources, but you would have to know the "tare weight" of your truck to do the math to figure out the load capacity. Digit or letter number four in your VIN represents the Gross Vehicle Weight Range. Here is a link to a page stating the information condensed, from a private person who prepared it, for 88-98 GM/Chevy trucks: http://www.someotherplace.com/info/GMT400VINCARD.JPG

Look on the side of the driver side door. There should be a tag there unless it came off that will tell you either the GVWR or the GVW (I think it is the GVW - mine is gone).

You should also look in the glovebox of your truck. Mine has a white sticker on the left side that tells me how much load I can put on the rear versus the front axle(s). This tag is intended to be used if you put a camper on the truck, but it should help you out for what you are doing. I have a '94, but perhaps the '92 year had this too.

I know the tare weight of my truck from going through a scale to dump yard waste. It takes the measurement with the load and again after the load to figure out what you have to pay to dump your waste materials.

Here is the GM link to decode the VIN: http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/

Hope this info helps you out, pardner!

Mike

Don't forget about the load carrying capacity of your tires. You don't want a blow out when you are loaded.
    2010 Silverado LT 1500 5.3L 4X4
    '95 BMW K1100LT
    '97 BMW K1100LT

I had a 97 Cheyenne stepside and I got x cubic yards (forgot how much) of river silt and hauled it using the trans to slow the truck along with the brakes at red lights and stop signs. Guy put in 2 buckets of the bobcat full saying he didn't want to put anymore for fear of breaking the axle. Wound up doing 2 trips, 1st load was 2 buckets fulls and the last was 1. Handled it like a champ. Of course I put air back into my tires but she handled the 4 mile trip great.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Dakota:

Here are some resources for you to use:

A quick primer on pickup bed load capacities: http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/27/a...ad-capacities/

Cubic yard capacities of truck beds: http://www.soilbuildingsystems.com/P...onversions.php

Approximate weights for Sand, Sandy Loam Topsoil and Gravel: http://earthhaulers.com/faqs.html

Topsoil weight for a cubic yard is stated anywhere from 2100 to 2700 lbs, depending on your source of information. The site above states 2400 lbs.

I will tell you that the first link says the writer's 3/4 ton truck weighs 5300 lbs. Mine is a 3/4 ton, with a 454 and extended cab, 4 wheel drive, and it weighs about 6600 lbs.

I agree that brakes are going to be your limiting factor. You might consider paying for delivery if this is landscape materials. I do not haul dirt, sand or gravel in my current truck. I pay someone else to do it with something built to deliver this stuff.

So I'm probably going to re state everything that has already been said but here it is...
    Looking on the internet it appears your truck curb weight is 4001lbs. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...k-pickup-6.htm
    now add your weight and the weight of all the stuff in your trick including gas and let's say you are at 4250lbs.
    Now As @The Heater states "Look on the side of the driver side door. There should be a tag there unless it came off that will tell you either the GVWR..." this is the max that your truck can weigh... So do the math and what you are left with is what you can take in the box.
    Now as @Scott_Anderson states "Don't forget about the load carrying capacity of your tires." if the tires are not in good shape this may be weakest part of the set up...the rating is stamped on the tires. Add the 2 numbers. do not exceed the lower number between the tires and the GVWR-actual truck weight.

With that all said this is relevant should you be pulled over and weighed by the DOT. GM does engineer in safety factors. IMHO I would not exceed the ratings.

I hope this helped!
    Pat
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

My tires are load range e