GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Engineer

Default removing door emblems

guys, what is the best way to remove the "silverado" emblem on the back pillar on my 1990 truck ?

seems to be stuck pretty darn good, and dont want to just pry it off and possibly take paint with it.

im guessing using a hair blow drier to heat it up, then pull it off ?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Use flat dental floss to "saw" through the tape/glue behind it. Then use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (home depot, Ace) which will not damage the paint unless it is laquer, but can damage some plastic (home depot) to remove the tape/glue residue.

There may or may not be locator pins and holes on that emblem. You'll have to wait for a '90 owner to answer that one.

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Use flat dental floss to "saw" through the tape/glue behind it. Then use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (home depot, Ace) which will not damage the paint unless it is laquer, but can damage some plastic (home depot) to remove the tape/glue residue.

There may or may not be locator pins and holes on that emblem. You'll have to wait for a '90 owner to answer that one.
    thanks for the info dana... i will give it a try here soon.... much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by RATRODKING View Post
    thanks for the info dana... i will give it a try here soon.... much appreciated
    Cool. The hair dryer would not hurt to have handy either, but keep it away from the adhesive remover. That stuff is more flammable than gasoline. the flat floss will try and roll a little but it is much easier on your fingers than the thread kind, and it is stronger.

I have found saturating a paper towel with GPAR and holding it on the glue residue for a little bit, and just wiping gently works much better than scrubbing and rubbing.

Wear nitrile gloves. GPAR turns your skin to saltine crackers.

The stuff evaporates very quickly, and only works on the glue while it is wet.

Don't throw rags or towels with wet GPAR on them in a closed trash can. The fumes can be explosive. Let your wiping material dry before throwing away. It doesn't take long.

Work outside. The GPAR fumes develop rapidly and will get your eyeballs and brain spinning in a matter of minutes in a closed garage.
    Last edited by Dana W; 03-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.

I can't wait to get back to my truck. I want to debadge most of it. It'll be at least December before I get back home though so it'll be a while. Everything I've read via multiple threads on here says the same thing. So try the dental floss and adhesive remover and let us know how it works. I'd like to read as many success stories as possible before I do mine.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

I use Zippo Lighter Fuel to remove adhesive. Takes it off faster than anything else I have ever used. (and I have used a LOT of products. I used to work in a graphics shop lettering vehicles...)
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Legend

Blog Entries

Make sure after you remove the emblem that you clean the area good. Use a good wax to protect the paint since most products that remove the glue will also remove the clear coat.

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Yes. I did forget to mention that. It is always a good idea to clean and wax the surface to protect it. We used to spray the area with glass cleaner to clean the lighter fluid residuals off. Now I keep glass wipes in the truck in case the gas pump spills out on the paint.

Jr. Engineer

thanks guys, i will let you know how it goes once i get around to it..

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

THis is a product that you should keep one can in the shop at all time... I can not even try to remember the countless times we have used it for the weirdest and strangest things.....3M Woodgrain and stripe remover...... Product #08907 not sure where you will find it i get ours from Granger...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by