GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Question Water pump leak??

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 4.8L and 118,000 miles.Ive been having a small coolant leak for the last 6 months and im not sure where its coming from.I would have to put more coolant in about every 3 weeks(about 1 liter at a time).Its coming from the right side of the motor and its dripping off the oil pan/tranny pan and all the hoses and wires.Could it be the water pump or something else?It only leaks when the motor is shut off and warm,it leaves about a quater size puddle at a time.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights
    Aftermarket Rims

any ideas?....im assuming its the water pump or gasket...ill replace the pump either way

Legend
    Blog Entries

It's leaking when you're driving it too, you just don't notice it till it leaves the puddle in your garage. When you're out driving it, it's spraying it on the road so you don't see it.

Its coming from the right side of the motor and its dripping off the oil pan/tranny pan and all the hoses and wires

It's difficult to tell since the coolant is spread all over the place in your description, but you don't mention that it is on the lower front of the engine, which is where some of it should be if this is a water pump leaking. The best thing to do is wipe all of it off & then try & locate the highest point that you first see it showing up. This will be close to whatever is actually leaking.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

i looked the other day and i thought i saw a wet spot behind the water pump....i didnt see a wet spot anywhere else except it being soaked underneath around the oil pan and all the wires

Legend
    Blog Entries

ok, from your first description you said it was on the right side of the engine. I didn't know you saw it on the front. If you can see a leak behind the pump, be sure & look a little higher up where the front of the intake manifold is & make sure it isn't the gaskets leaking. There are 2 water passages right at the front where it mates with the heads & it could be leaking down behind the water pump from there.

i have no coolant in oil or anything...i can smell coolant outside the truck when its running every now and then...its comong from the right front of the motor

My 03 Sierra 4.8 does the same thing, been doing it for over a year. Although i don't lose as much coolant. Was expecting the water pump to go soon, over a year ago, and it still hasn't. I was able to get a socket on the 3 bolts of that side that secure the pump to the block and they turned with very little effort. i think after time they just needed retorqued. It definitely slowed the leak way down but i still ended up throwing some stop leak in it several months later. Once in awhile I smell the sweetness of anti-freeze but have no puddle or visible coolant any longer.

Legend
    Blog Entries

It's good you don't have coolant in the oil. Since you've narrowed it down to the R F, take a rag & wipe off the manifold to head mating surface, & below that wipe down where the head mates to the block. When you get it dry put some baby powder, or talcom powder on those 2 mating surfaces where the gaskets are. Start it up & watch for one of them to get wet. Even a small/slow leak will be easier to see if you put some powder on it. If it isn't either of these 2 then it's probably the water pump gasket.

I had the same problem with my 03 5.3 ltr silvy at about 60,000 mi. I have a sears pressure tester and after plenty of cursing and gymnist type moves I found it to be the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump. It's very hard to spot. Changed the pump and problem solved now she's got 110,000.
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

My 2003 1500 4.8L has the exact same problem. It's been 4 or 5 months with a steady leak. I pour a little coolant in every week or so; it's getting expensive. It's very hard to tell where it's coming from since it all builds up around the bottom of oil pan and surrounding areas. It's also on the right front side for me.

I actually looked at the weep hole on the water pump with a mirror and it looked pretty dry. It may be the gasket, I can't tell yet. I'm about to replace water pump anyway, because I've got about 80k miles.

If you figure it out, make sure you tell us what it was!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by