GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Default Info on MAF's and why to clean them offten

I found this Gig on Craigslist. This guy wants someone to clean his MAFs on his Audi and he sent me this link..

The Benefits of Cleaning Your Mass Air Flow Sensor

The more oil and dirt accumulates on your MAF the worse it serves it's purpose. The dirtier it get get the less accurate the reading it gives to your ECU (computer). These readings can cause lower gas milage and a small loss of power.

Cleaning your MAF will not only extend the life of the sensor it will also help keep the power level and gas milage where it should be. So if you feel that lack of power when you hit the gas or have noticed a change in your MPG. The MAF sensor is the best place to start on your car.

http://writen4u.hubpages.com/hub/cle...w-audi-maf-diy
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Good article but there are a few points I disagree with on there.
    I'd never use alcohol to clean the maf with, alcohol dries moisture, and plastic, no matter how hard it is has moisture in it, using alcohol will dry the maf and cause the plastic to become brittle, I've seen this happen before.
    Use a sensor safe cleaner, there are specific Maf cleaning solutions available that wont dry out the plastics and do just as good a job.
    Same as giving the sensor itself an alcohol bath, notice he left the rubber "O" ring on it, "O" rings deteriorate fast from alcohol, then you'll get an air leak right at the sensor causing eother a light or allowing air and particles to leak in after the filter.
    Some mafs are calibrated to run slightly dirty, they give their best performance at that point, I'm guessing the manufacturers understood the maf wouldnt be perfectly clean at all times so they designed it to be tuned best when it was slightly dirty, I dont know.
    I've watched flow and Dyno tests that show them to operate better when slightly dirty.

Legend

Blog Entries

I like the information, as that one of the maintenance items on my list to do next; Thanks Enkei

Thanks for the additional information/clarification, Tim....good to know.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals