GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Blog Entries

Default windshield washer pump/sensor not working

My windshield washer fluid is not pumping out through the windshield wipers and the dash is not reading low windshield washer fluid. I believe the sensor is out, and it completes the circuit for the pump to work. Can anyone confirm this before I begin to work on it? I checked the fuses they all look good. The pump and sensor worked when I bought the truck. I had the reservoir replaced 10,000 miles ago.

Also, if I remove the sensor it is it possible to check the continuity with a volt meter?

124,000 miles, 2000 silverado, 4.8L

Thanks for your help

2000 Silverado, 4.8L, LS
    3" Dynomax cat back exhaust
    Drop-in K&N air filter
    200 amp Nations alternator
    KYB GR2 Shocks
    Bluetooth OBD2 adapter with Torque App on Samsung Note 2
    Custom Stereo System l Pioneer/ Boss door Speakers l 1200 watt Performance Teknique amp l 1 farad capacitor l 2 12" kicker comp subwoofers
    Slider rear window l Locking tailgate, de-baged l 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires l Fully synthetic oil l Tinted windows
    4l65e upgrades - five pinion planetaries l HD sun shell l high performance band

My wifes Trailblazer did the samething and it was a plugged line from the washer bottle to the wiper arm. I just took both ends off and blew in it. Some slimy crap came out and that was the problem.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Blog Entries

cool, thanks. was the sensor affected by the clogged tube? if so that is pretty interesting...

Well all I can say is the washer fluid was full and we could here the pump trying to pump so I knew it had to be a pinched or plugged line. I can't say about the sensor as I never drive here T/blazer. She came home and said here washer wasn't working and the fluid was full so I just started under the hood.

Blog Entries

Oh,OK. I think your wife's car had a different problem than mine.
    on my truck:

The pump does not make any sound.
    When the reservoir is empty the low washer fluid light does not display in the instrument cluster.
    The fuse for the system is intact.

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it
    Thanks

Blog Entries

aw man, C'mon doesn't anyone have any ideas about this fix. its an easy one.

please help.

You are in luck, I had this fixed on my truck after a few min of internet searching....

Mine would 'occasionally' spray fluid. Wipers worked when they wanted to, as well as stopped when they wanted to.

The fix - took me about 10 min start to finish.

On the firewall, where the wiper motor is....there is a black box with a plug connection on the left (pass) side. Take plug connection off carefully. There was a blue safety on mine I had to take off first. Then 3 bolts, two on the right side corners, one in the middle. Take them off carefully (T-25 I believe). Pull black cover off. CAREFULLY pull circuit board off. Its connected on the lower left corner. Carefully pry it off. Check the 2 'extended' contacts that you see on the top. The contacts are supposed to be rounded over. If they're really flat, you MIGHT want to change it. I had one 1/2 way flat and another one slightly worn. Clean them with carb cleaner and wipe. Then I looked inside and the 'contact rotor' inside was covered in grease. Carb cleaner on a rag and I wiped it off carefully, all inside on that rotor. If you NEED some grease for a squeaking wiper, put a dab on the screw gear at the bottom. A small dab.

Once done cleaning, carefully push circuit board back on, put black cover back on & screw down, and put connection back on. I went promptly inside and hit the wipers and washer. All was good to go.

I hope this helps.
    99 Tahoe - the family truckster
    99 Xploder - the trash truck
    01 Windstar - bought back by Ford :party:
    01 Saturn SL1 150K miles, 34mpg :glasses:

Blog Entries

fixed, replaced motor, no calcium buildup, everything looked good. Thanks everyone.