GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Default Shock conversion

I was having my tires rotated when the guy said I should look at replacing my front shocks soon. So I calleed a freind at GM and he printed me a build sheet so I could find out what shocks I needed. Then I phoned my usual two places to get prices, Wholy ***** they wanted $500 per shock because I have the Z55 and Z71 option. Is this the only whay to go?
    Thanks Eric

Default Front Shocks

I was having my tires rotated when the guy said I should look at replacing my front shocks soon. So I calleed a freind at GM and he printed me a build sheet so I could find out what shocks I needed. Then I phoned my usual two places to get prices, Wholy ***** they wanted $500 per shock because I have the Z55 and Z71 option. Is this the only whay to go?
    Thanks Eric

Replaced mine with bilstiens which should be oe on your vehicle. I live down the road from the original Summit Racing so I called up there and they had them cheapest around. They beat all the parts houses prices and had them in stock.
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

What year? Does the Z55/Z71 combo mean that you have some kind fancy schmancy air leveling (or other specialty) shock? When I price run-of-the-mill Bilstein shocks for my '98 through O'reilly's online catalog, it comes back $US110 for each, so $500 per side sounds outrageous for run of the mill shocks. $500 might be about right if you've got some kind of newer suspension system that requires special shocks.

On edit: If the "quote" from the dealership has the Bilstein model number on it, you might take that to some of the aftermarket vendors and see what they can get that same shock for. It sometimes seems that anything you buy through the dealership gets marked up above what the aftermarket (maybe Napa) will sell the exact same thing for. Of course, you run the risk of them offering an equivalent from Rancho, Monroe, or Gabriel, or other, which means you'll have to decide how important it is to you that the shock carry Bilstein's name. It will give you a good reference point for determining if $500 per side is reasonable or not.
    Last edited by MrShorty; 03-10-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I forgot to mention that I have 2003 Tahoe LT Z71 and I was told that the shocks are electronically and I live In Canada, Vancouver, B.C. so all perts that deal with OEM are through GM Canada. means that it cost more money for eveything.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by BIGREDDADDY53 View Post
    Thanks Eric
    If you have the part numbers do a search on the web to see if you can find cheaper replacements. Several years ago I had to replace the Z55 shocks on my Tahoe and found them at an online supplier for less than half the price. Currently seeing them for about $310.00

Bill
    Last edited by BillD64; 03-11-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks Bill, I will

Legend

Blog Entries

You may want to check into some aftermarket ones such as Ranchos, Bilsteins, etc. You should be able to find that you can get a much better shock for a way better price.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    You may want to check into some aftermarket ones such as Ranchos, Bilsteins, etc. You should be able to find that you can get a much better shock for a way better price.
    I dont think he'll be able to. Z55 is the autoride suspension package. I dont think you can switch shocks and have to stay with the autoride shocks. but like BillD said, shop around.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Legend

Blog Entries

It does seem pretty controversial regarding the Z55 but according to the following website SDtrucksprings.com, they sell them (at least the Rancho brand). I pasted below the caption and the link. I've never shopped around for the Z55 before, so I am only going by what I see online and available.

Home Shock Absorbers Rancho Shock Absorbers RS5000 Rancho Shocks GMC RS5000 Rancho Shocks GMC Yukon RS5000 Rancho Shocks 2000-2006 GMC Yukon 4 Door 4wd Excl. Manual Transmission & w/ Z55 Autoride Suspension or AWD (Lifted 4" Front, 4" Rear) - Rancho RS5000 Shock (Front) 2000-2006 GMC Yukon 4 Door 4wd Excl. Manual Transmission & w/ Z55 Autoride Suspension or AWD (Lifted 4" Front, 4" Rear) - Rancho RS5000 Shock (Front)

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....7&currency=USD
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 03-12-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by