GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Question 1500 Hood/Grille Swap

So I've been looking around trying to get ideas for a new hood and grille b/c the stock stuff isnt cutting it for me anymore. As i was looking around online i came across another forum where a guy was talking about taking the grille and hood for a 2011 2500 HD and putting it right on too his 2010 1500. Has anyone tried this yet? I would like to do this to my truck after my next deployment.

2010 Silverado Z71

Kyle-USAF-MI/VA

"Fueled by Haters"

TCS front box 7"-9" set at 8.5" | FTS coilovers(blue coil) with resis and FTS shocks with resis| 20" Fuel Off-Road Revolver Rims | 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers | Halo Projector Head Lights by Recon- Black | Led Taillights by Recon- Smoked | Dumped Straight pipe | Volant CAI | Ranch Hand Front Bumper | DiabloSport Trinity Programmer | Tow Mirrors with Turn Signal | Cervinis Ram-Air hood | 4.56 USA gears with tru trac locker | Longshot Lighting 6000k 55w low beam and 6000k 35w fogs HIDs | 7" lift leaf spring | Blue TCS traction bars

Future Mods: Long tube headers
    | Custom tune | Cam | Stall Converter

I'm curious to see if anyone has tried this, because I thought about it before too. I really like the look of the one-piece bumper and split grill of the newer HD trucks, compared to the half-ton.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Yea i was wondering if there was anyone on here b/c on another chevy forum that i came across today while looking around for this on google was talking about it. From what that guy was talking about he said he did the hood and grille from a 2011 and that it worked pretty good but had no pics of it. Im glad im not the only one looking for answers to this question. lol

It can be done. I have heard that the 11-12 HD grill is slightly taller than the previous years but will work. Some guys say that had to trim here and there but for the most part its a straight over swap. The hoods are plug and play also.

Here is a 1500 with an HD grill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2784.jpg  

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

yea for me i dont think i would have to work about trimming the new grille b/c i have my aftermarket front bumper, but from the post i just found on gmfullsize.com the 11s are a little smaller then the previous years and fit perfect with the 07.5-10s 1500s. i guess ill have to do it and let everyone kno how it turns out.

See yah that look sick. I like the look of those grills alot

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    It can be done. I have heard that the 11-12 HD grill is slightly taller than the previous years but will work. Some guys say that had to trim here and there but for the most part its a straight over swap. The hoods are plug and play also.

Here is a 1500 with an HD grill.
    Adam
    11 Silverado Summit White Ext. Cab 5.3L Z71 9k miles
    RC leveling kit
    Jason fiberglass tonneau cover
    Penda-liner
    Superchips 91 octane tune
    Front air dam removed
    6,000k lowbeams 6,000k fogs
    color match bowties
    color match mudflaps
    20% tint all the way around
    20% tinted 6in sunshade
    Nitto terra grappler 275/70r17 (winter setup)
    Chevy 22s with Bridgestone Alenza 285/45r22 (summer setup)
    Kenwood DNX6180 indash

Isn't the 2012 1500 grille the same style as the 2500 with the slit in the middle?
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

It looks very very similar to the 2500 from the trucks i have looked at. But I am not for sure if they are identical, for the reason as i dont know the dimensions of either grille.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post
    Isn't the 2012 1500 grille the same style as the 2500 with the slit in the middle?
    Yeah, I didn't realize this. It's a similar looking grill, although I'd want the HD bumper too. Never was crazy about the stock bumper on mine.

I was doing more research on this whole front end swap last night into this morning and as i mentioned in an earlier post about gmfullsize.com but i realized that i didnt post the thread that i had found on it, here is the link i found- http://gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214115 the first post has the whole front end swapped over to the half ton. and it looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
    Yeah, I didn't realize this. It's a similar looking grill, although I'd want the HD bumper too. Never was crazy about the stock bumper on mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by