GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default What is this white crap? And how do I get rid of it?

On my new 2011 Silverado, it's got that dark gray plastic lip on the tailgate and around the mirrors and it's got these light gray or white ... streaks or marks or something. I've tried scrubbing it off and nothing gets it. How do you restore the color?

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Is it Wax or The great Zebra strips that GM gets on the plastic?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

My 08 had the same deal on it.. When i wash my truck i also wax it AND the plastic exterior pieces and then i hit them pretty heavy with armor-all. It has worked so far to keep them from getting any kind of discoloration.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Is it Wax or The great Zebra strips that GM gets on the plastic?
    It's neither. It started almost as soon as I brought it home before I was able to wax it and it's gotten worse.

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 08_rado_rocker View Post
    My 08 had the same deal on it.. When i wash my truck i also wax it AND the plastic exterior pieces and then i hit them pretty heavy with armor-all. It has worked so far to keep them from getting any kind of discoloration.
    My truck is only five months old and it's been waxed twice. Don't think that's it.

That sounds messed up man....i would make the dealer fix that nonsense for free...
    Adam
    11 Silverado Summit White Ext. Cab 5.3L Z71 9k miles
    RC leveling kit
    Jason fiberglass tonneau cover
    Penda-liner
    Superchips 91 octane tune
    Front air dam removed
    6,000k lowbeams 6,000k fogs
    color match bowties
    color match mudflaps
    20% tint all the way around
    20% tinted 6in sunshade
    Nitto terra grappler 275/70r17 (winter setup)
    Chevy 22s with Bridgestone Alenza 285/45r22 (summer setup)
    Kenwood DNX6180 indash

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    It's neither. It started almost as soon as I brought it home before I was able to wax it and it's gotten worse.

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

My truck is only five months old and it's been waxed twice. Don't think that's it.

I think you mistook what I was meaning. When I bought my 08 (NEW) I had the same problem. I was just telling you how I fixed it and kept from coming back. Also, its either Mother's or Meguiars (cant remember at the moment which) that makes a product called "back to black" that I've used in the past that worked well also. If none of the above help. Dealership it.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Remember it could have been on the black before you bought it and the dealer just covered it up before you picked it up. And now it is washing off..Can you take a pic and post it?

As A Avalanche owner we have seen it all on the plastic. Some spray on a producy called Gaterback (Google it) I use Floor wax (Futrua) Thats right Floor wax. A little tacky when you put it on but drys fast and will last over 6 months will not streak or wash off.. AmorAll other then tires Never touchs my truck..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Some spray on a producy called Gaterback (Google it) I use Floor wax (Futrua) Thats right Floor wax. A little tacky when you put it on but drys fast and will last over 6 months will not streak or wash off.. AmorAll other then tires Never touchs my truck..
    I've seen people use floor wax before, works real good.
    We used to use cooking spray on polished metal and plastic parts on our aircraft in the Navy, left them shiny, helped keep them clean, and reduced friction.

My dad uses Nu Vinyl on his Avalanche plastic and it works very well for 6-8 months

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

For all exterior plastic trim I have always used ICE polish, works wonders, also works on window trimmings...pretty much ANYTHING exterior, never tried it on interior however.