GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default NEED HELP/ADVICE w/ the drop I got

So, I was told that I was going to be getting a McGaughy's Brand 3/5 drop when i got it done. Originally the owner of the shop that did it told me that it would take a 2" spindle and a 1" spring in the front to get the 3" and a flip kit w/hanger in the back. But when i got my truck back it didnt look as low as it should in the front and upon further inspection i noticed that my spring hadn't been changed at all and there were no clean spots where there should have been from them touching them and road grime coming off. The guy that did the actual install told me that they did a 3" drop spindle.. but i find it shady that they told me one thing and i got a different...

Also, is there a need to change the shocks front/back. The ride isnt terrible.. its obviously rough as hell in the back, but the front feels exactly the same.

Thanks, BJ

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

This is for an 08? There's no such thing as a 3" drop spindle. Mcgaughys only makes 2" drop spindles. A flip kit and hangar doesn't sound right for the back. You can use both but you would be a lot lower then 5. More like 8 or so.

theythey should have done 2 inch drop spindles 1 inch drop coils in the front an done 2 inch drop shackles with the 2-3 inch drop hangars.

Quote Originally Posted by pantydropper View Post
    theythey should have done 2 inch drop spindles 1 inch drop coils in the front an done 2 inch drop shackles with the 2-3 inch drop hangars.
    See.. that's what i thought as well. I searched all over for a "McGaughy's" 3" drop spindle.. and came up with NOTHING. So the owner of that shop and I are going to have to have a not-so-nice talk.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ZSI52 View Post
    This is for an 08? There's no such thing as a 3" drop spindle. Mcgaughys only makes 2" drop spindles. A flip kit and hangar doesn't sound right for the back. You can use both but you would be a lot lower then 5. More like 8 or so.
    Again, thanks for the input. But as far as the flip kit goes.. that AND the hanger in the back is the only way to get the 5". Otherwise with just the flip it would be a 7".. the hangers bring it back UP 2".

that doesnt make sense unless he put a 2" lift hangar on it with the flip kit.

Quote Originally Posted by pantydropper View Post
    that doesnt make sense unless he put a 2" lift hangar on it with the flip kit.
    Lol.. exactly. I must not have put that across right. Thanks for the input on the front bro! I've gotta find time to get in his face and see what he says about the shotty work he did. I called him on another number and he told me the same thing. "2 inch spindle, 1 inch spring, flip kit with hanger in back and four shocks, aligned" and i know my springs and shocks are all still stock.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

actually i misread what y'all were saying.

sorry about that, I think what I'm gonna do is call McGaughy's and see what they say about how it should have been done. But the back is DEFINITELY flipped.

Rado, try a BDS -6" drop. That might look confusing, but just google under the alternate name of 6" lift. Ignore the last word though. It's really a -6" drop. Trust me. It'll work.... DO IT...

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Someone educate me on lowering please?

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy09LTZCrew View Post
    Rado, try a BDS -6" drop. That might look confusing, but just google under the alternate name of 6" lift. Ignore the last word though. It's really a -6" drop. Trust me. It'll work.... DO IT...
    I agree! BDS 6". Maybe if you install a BDS-6" lift upside down then it will drop it.
    Last edited by Pikey; 05-04-2012 at 12:00 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)