GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default warranty on 08 Silverado

I went to a goodyear service center to get my front brakes looked at and they also took a look at the rear ones and mentioned something about a rear wheel outer seal leaking...or something to that affect. I was wondering if that is covered under the powertrain warranty at all. They also mentioned that it would require a "rear brake overhaul" and a brake system flush. My Silverado has just under 51k miles on it and find it odd for any seals to fail that soon. Thanks for the help

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Brakes I don't think so or anything to do with them.. BUT check your owners book..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend
    Blog Entries

Alright i will step in and say i know the wheel seal will not be covered. since it is considered a "wear" item. As to a full brake overhaul and flush? that is just them trying to rake you over the coals. The most it will require is the rear rotors turned and new brake pads to make sure there isnt any oil on the contact areas. This is a prime example why i no longer trust nor go to a shop since they are trying to take you for several hundred dollars more than it would normally cost.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

I was kinda suspicious to begin with in any regards because I took my truck in for the front brakes to be looked at and they said they found a leak on the rears. Wouldn't I see a drop in brake pressure if I had a leak on the outer wheel seal? I look at all my fluids on a weekly basis and see that the fluid in the brake master cylinder doesn't go down at all. I might take it to a dealer for a 2nd opinion. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) wouldn't I see brake fluid on the drum or on the rim or something indicating a leak?

Sounds fishy to me. I would take it for a second opinion. My 08 still has the factory pads on the rear and they are still good. I did change the front because I couldnt get the damn things to stop squeaking.

As Murdog mentioned the seals are not covered by the powertrain. What made you take it in?

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Legend
    Blog Entries

OH so they said it was the Wheel cyl??? if that is the case, the part is probably $60 and gm will have to bleed the system. but wow are they full of crap.. What i was refering to was the outer wheel axle seal. Neither parts are covered under warranty but neither require a overhaul of anything.

---------- Post added at 05:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

and it might just have moisture around it (it is a leak and thanks to the pressure that your brakes take you will want to fix it) so not really dripping etc.