GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default basic head ache rack (what's this called?)

Im looking to add a "roll-bar" like headache rack. Not like the one on the avalanche, nothing attached to body, purely for cosmetic look, heres a picture for reference i dont know what the name is called

i'd really like to find a simple one to go on the back of my bed as the truck is really a good looking truck AND it has a LWB which is a major plus and i believe this will help even out the look so the bed doesnt stick out so much making my ride look like a "truck limo" so to speak.

Legend

Blog Entries

Here is a company that makes them. They are fairly pricey!!

http://www.truckrollbar.com/

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

You're looking for a "LIGHT BAR" with an areo shape. I did some googling and didn't find one. They were kind of an 80's & 90's thing, hard to find now, probably.

thanks for the link but theres not one like im looking for among the first 4-5 pages of what their offering, although they do have some catchy styles if money was not an option.

What i want is something more like whats posted above, i assume i might have to get something made out of fiberglass, the one i actually saw in person was really flimsy almost "tacky" looking plastic that had been simply screwed into the bed on each side, just a little thin piece of aerdoynamic plastic or fiberglass to give "the look."

maybe i should start looking for one of these at a flea-market, but on the other hand, if i did have to seek someone out to make something like this, where would i start?

Quote Originally Posted by drwombat View Post
    the one i actually saw in person was really flimsy almost "tacky" looking plastic that had been simply screwed into the bed on each side, just a little thin piece of aerdoynamic plastic or fiberglass to give "the look."
    That pretty much describes all of them I ever saw. Places similar to Bushwhacker used to sell them, but have not seen any in years.

If you want to get one made, put a steel frame roll bar kinda thing under it. Look for fiberglass fabrication shops. Problem is though, to do a 'one off' job like this they would cost you a second mortgage.

A real head ache rack is used to keep cargo from slamming into the cab of a truck/semi or p/u and killing or crushing the driver. Maybe you should look for a truck outfitter dealer or H.D. truck parts dealer.
    2007 Suburban 2500 Edge evolution CS leveled 265 goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade Kenwood DNX6180 Nav.Radio

OH Goody, another Pickem up truck dripping with Chrome Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by marko54 View Post
    A real head ache rack is used to keep cargo from slamming into the cab of a truck/semi or p/u and killing or crushing the driver. Maybe you should look for a truck outfitter dealer or H.D. truck parts dealer.
    Yup, and they got the name from the snow chains hanging up there on hooks in dry weather, and banging into the rack all day long.

I'd call it a cab fairing. Lund used to have a couple of offerings, and there may be other companies.
    I did a image search for "racerback" and found some stuff that way. I haven't seen many of them installed in quite awhile, either.

Good luck,

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

What are you wanting to put it on? You might be able to find one in a bone yard.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)