GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool How do you "Unplug" your governor?

I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 wt with a 4.3 v6 and i wanna know how hard it would be to unplug the governor.
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6
    32'' bfgoodrich all terrains

If they don't sing, they don't sling.

Legend

Blog Entries

I think this is more of a computer function than just simply unplugging (someone who knows for sure will have to clarify). Another option for you would be to use a programmer if disconnecting/deactivating will not work
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 03-15-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Like mfleetwood said it's more of a computer function.
    The question I have is why do you want to turn off your governor?
    With a 4.3 and 32" tall BFG's I dont think reaching max speed is much of a problem, your probably already out of gear and HP around a 100mph, which is around where the governor is set.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnettamb View Post
    I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 wt with a 4.3 v6 and i wanna know how hard it would be to unplug the governor.
    You need a programmer like SuperChips to remove the governer.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Haha its really not necessary at all. Me and a friend who drives a tacoma were talking about it today and i thought i would do it if it wasn't to hard. but yeah my 4.3 v6 offers very little power on the highway.

My friend and i work at the same shop and both have 03 1500s. He just recently bought a snap-on modus scan tool and has the GM tech2 on there, you can get rid of the limiter with that and not have a programmer

2003 single cab stepside Chev 1500, 6" rough coutnry lift, 4' firestick cb whips, cobra ltd cb radio.
    Next mods: flowmaster 10series muffler and exhaust (in process)
    1.5" zone body lift
    315/70r16 cooper stt once the 305s wear out

Sold-1996 Audi A4 lowered on H&R ultra low coils running 19" mercedes wheels, limo tint, borla exhaust
    New ride 96 VW jetta lowered 2.0l 5 spd

Quote Originally Posted by roughcntryrado View Post
    My friend and i work at the same shop and both have 03 1500s. He just recently bought a snap-on modus scan tool and has the GM tech2 on there, you can get rid of the limiter with that and not have a programmer

What's the cost of that bad boy vs a programer? For most owners that's not even an option..rist scan tool is like 3500.00 vs a 400.00 programmer.I
    Last edited by sstoner911; 03-16-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Oh without a doubt a programmer is way cheaper than the tech2, but being a mechanic and dealing with a lot of gm products it was worth the money. Espically because i didnt buy it haha

not to be a downer or anything but also at that speed you have to be careful with your drive shaft and your u-joints. there not ment for crazy high speeds. but like stated you have to have a tune or a programmer to remove it
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legend

while the V6 wont offer up much more you should just get a programmer Diablo is what a lot of people get too, this will give you more power in your useful range and give you much better passing rpm power. or you could get a custom tune. Even my big heavy suburban showed gains with just a hypertech. the rpms gained much easier for passing or merging onto a freeway. I also added a K&N intake and true dual exhaust, I also did these in stages and could feel and see (via tachometer) improvement. I also gained 1.5 mpg with all of this, so that was the biggest improvement for me.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast