GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Jr. Mechanic
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    130

    Default Used Oil Analysis - Just bragging

    Just thought I'd do a little bragging.
    I bought my 04 2500HD in November of 2008 with about 30,000 miles on it. I just turned 70,000.
    I sent an oil sample to Blackstone last month just to see how she's looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 04_2500HD_UOA.jpg  
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD

  2. #2
    Legend


    mfleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    7,213
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    That's a great report card. You should post some key steps with corresponding dates/mileage you took (or previous owner if you have those records) to receive this kind of good news. Also, I'm just curious, how much does did the analysis cost?
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 03-16-2012 at 10:48 AM.


    Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

    SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

  3. #3

    Default

    what type of oil have you been running?
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

  4. #4
    Jr. Mechanic
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    That's a great report card. You should post some key steps with corresponding dates/mileage you took (or previous owner if you have those records) to receive this kind of good news. Also, I'm just curious, how much does did the analysis cost?
    I really don't do anything special. Change the oil when the message system tells me to (usually) which is about every 7,200 miles. The last change, which was the longest I have ever gone, was approximately 9,200 miles. It was not by plan, it was just too darn cold to do it and the truck is too long to fit in my garage.
    I have used Mobil 1 5w30 and an AC Delco filter since the day I bought it. I average about 11,000 miles a year with 60% highway and 40% around town. Beginning last year, from April thru September (ish) I pull a 5,000lb pontoon to the lake as many weekends as I can. ...and I NEVER "drive it like you stole it"! Like I said, nothing special. Blackstone charges $25 for the standard test and an additional $10 to measure the additives remaining. So it cost me $35 to find out the internal condition of my engine. Money well spent in my opinion. I will probably have it done again in 20,000 ~ 30,000 miles. I am going to do a trans service this spring and will be sending a sample in just to see what up.

    ---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    what type of oil have you been running?
    Mobil 1 5w30 and an AC Delco filter.
    Been running Mobil 1 since I bought my first decent car in 1990.
    Last edited by paracutin; 03-16-2012 at 06:16 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    If you change your oil regularly and use a quality oil why did you send the oil in for analysis? Where I work at we send samples in quarterly to test the oil to see if it needs changing. Our machines run 24/7/365. Is there really a benefit in an analysis?

  6. #6
    Legend


    mfleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    7,213
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paracutin View Post
    I really don't do anything special. Change the oil when the message system tells me to (usually) which is about every 7,200 miles. The last change, which was the longest I have ever gone, was approximately 9,200 miles. It was not by plan, it was just too darn cold to do it and the truck is too long to fit in my garage.
    I have used Mobil 1 5w30 and an AC Delco filter since the day I bought it. I average about 11,000 miles a year with 60% highway and 40% around town. Beginning last year, from April thru September (ish) I pull a 5,000lb pontoon to the lake as many weekends as I can. ...and I NEVER "drive it like you stole it"! Like I said, nothing special. Blackstone charges $25 for the standard test and an additional $10 to measure the additives remaining. So it cost me $35 to find out the internal condition of my engine. Money well spent in my opinion. I will probably have it done again in 20,000 ~ 30,000 miles. I am going to do a trans service this spring and will be sending a sample in just to see what up.
    -
    Interesting...thanks for the additional info!!

  7. #7
    Jr. Mechanic
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    If you change your oil regularly and use a quality oil why did you send the oil in for analysis? Where I work at we send samples in quarterly to test the oil to see if it needs changing. Our machines run 24/7/365. Is there really a benefit in an analysis?
    Without sampling once in a while, let's say every 30,000 miles, how do you really know the internal condition of your engine? Just because you use a quality oil and change it regularly doesn't mean you won't have premature failure of a bearing or a camshaft that wasn't properly hardened from the factory. Both of which happen and would be detected by an oil analysis. Also, the computer in my truck recommends an oil change at about 7,200 miles. Based on the oil analysis I can extend that to about 11,000. That saves me money and time. So I get peace of mind and fewer oil changes over the life of the vehicle. That's my benefit.

  8. #8

    Default

    I was unaware that such info could be gathered from the oil. Thank you for educating me on this. I will have to look into doing this for my truck.

  9. #9
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Longview, Wa
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paracutin View Post
    Without sampling once in a while, let's say every 30,000 miles, how do you really know the internal condition of your engine? Just because you use a quality oil and change it regularly doesn't mean you won't have premature failure of a bearing or a camshaft that wasn't properly hardened from the factory. Both of which happen and would be detected by an oil analysis. Also, the computer in my truck recommends an oil change at about 7,200 miles. Based on the oil analysis I can extend that to about 11,000. That saves me money and time. So I get peace of mind and fewer oil changes over the life of the vehicle. That's my benefit.
    You have an oil change schedule that shows no wear, why change it????? Go to 11000 miles and when the oil analysis shows wear the damage is already done. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

  10. #10

    Default

    Thanks for the information. I've considered getting an analysis done as well, but that's mostly because it's been going through oil faster than it should and since I'm out of the country for a while, maintenance falls on my wife to get done. She knows how much I love that truck, so I'm sure it'll get done.... probably... I'd just like to see something in print telling me what it looks like.

    To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last: 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last: 03-07-2010, 08:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last: 03-07-2010, 08:40 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last: 02-07-2008, 11:41 PM
  5. GM Statement Regarding E85 Ethanol Cost-Benefit Analysis
    By ChevyFan in forum The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last: 11-30-2007, 11:40 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •