GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Interesting thread. I actually didn't know that you could send a sample of your used motor oil and get an analysis done on your engine. It makes sense though, as in my head (for instance) if you had a piston w/bad rings on it, you could detect blow-by on them because there would be evidence left in your oil.. Nice. It's interesting to hear that some Chevy owners are actually going by the oil change % meter on the dash too... because I never have. Its 3,000 - 3,500 miles MAX on my oil changes with Pennzoil 5-30 (its what i've ran in every car/motor i've ever built). But I rarely baby Truck Norris.. I let him stretch his legs and flex muscles quite often.

..good thread.. thanks for sharing!

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

I am definately going to look into this!

I change the oil strictly by the owners manual. 4,500 or 5,000 for the Camaro I remember that off the top of my head (I'm around 3500 from my last oil change I think). I can't find the sheet where I put down when I changed the oil last in the Burb though so I may go ahead and change it before I leave for Fort Knox in April. Interesting stuff though. I may have to look into that with 250k on the clock before I do my TPI conversion.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

Jr. Mechanic

I'm definately going to look into this. I run Amsoil with their performance filter which says it can stand up to 24,000 miles or one year. Meaning I only have to change my oil about every 9 months because I average 30,000 a year. I wasn't too hot on the idea of waiting that long so I usually change it every six months, once in the spring and once in the fall. It'd be nice to know if the oil is actually holding up to its reputation.
    2010 Red Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LT
    Blacked Out
    15% Tint all around
    22" KMC Slide Series Black Chrome Rims
    305/45/22R Nitto Dune Grappler Tires
    ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    K&N CAI
    IPCW Black Halo Projector LED Headlights
    IPCW Black Third brake Light
    IPCW Black LED Taillights
    Street Scene Front Bumper Valance
    Street Scene Black Chrome Grille
    Black Bowties
    Magnaflow Dual Exhaust
    Alpine Touchscreen Headunit
    4 Kicker RS Componet Speakers
    Kicker 12" L7 subwoofer w/ Kicker ZX1500.1 Amplifier

Jr. Mechanic

I am planning a trans fluid and filter change in the next 30-60 days. I will be sending in a sample of the trans fluid too. I only have 70,000 miles on the truck but it is eight years old now.
    My wife's Benz recommends trans service every 36,000 ($370 from an independant MB shop - $470 from the dealer) and it uses 100% synthetic fluid just like my truck. I imagine her close ratio 7 speed is a lot harder on the fluid than my not so close ratio 4 speed.
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD

Hi, paracutin:

That is a great idea to post your analysis. I have been doing oil analyses on all my four and two wheeled vehicles for several years now. Nothing unusual in any of them. I mostly run Amsoil.

I sent a sample from my Infiniti that had 7,000 miles on it (Amsoil 00-30 oil), and it came back with a report that told me I could continue to use the oil in the motor. Dinosaur oil with about 4,000 miles on it from my truck, after a hard trip of towing, also came back with that report. I think it was Valvoline 10-30 in the gallon jugs.

The oil samples are sent to a lab in Spokane, WA, about a four hour drive from here. I think this is a GREAT thing to do periodically if you are serious about monitoring your motor or gear case for signs of wear or other trouble. Mine have a few more things on the reports, but if you can find a lab that will send you the kits, it is worth your time and money.

Or if you buy Amsoil from a distributor, they likely have the kits prepaid to send to a lab.
    Last edited by The Heater; 03-29-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Jr. Mechanic

Ah, but the Amsoil prepaid kits are sent to Oil Analyzers of Superior, WI which is owned wholly or in part by Amsoil. I know this is gonna cause a flurry of flames from the Amsoil guys (personally, I have NOTHING against Amsoil) but I would rather send my samples to an independent lab for analysis.

Where I live the lab is independent.

And I am an Amsoil dealer (I don't actively sell for them, I just buy for personal use due to so many vehicles that use oil), but I agree that I would not want to send the sample to the Amsoil owned lab for analysis. Even if they are honest, it has the appearance of bias.

Jr. Mechanic

Exactly what I was trying to say. You were much more eloquent than I.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12