GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Hello, from Sugarland, TX

Hello GM Truck Club,

Greetings from Sugarland, TX!

I'm an owner of a 2004 GMC Yukon XL(rebadged Chevy Suburban), w/ 150K miles on it. Came upon this site while looking for repair info. Actually, maintenance info. While driving back from Dallas a few days ago, the alternator gave up the ghost while on I-45. Made it to Corsicana, and $365 later at the GM dealer (with a lousy aftermarket part, as OEM was not available without waiting till the next day), got back on the road.

Trying to not have another breakdown, thought I'd do some preventive maintenance. No problems yet, but don't want to take a chance on being stranded anywhere. Changing all the original belts and hoses, along w/ water pump. As I don't have an issue with decent aftermarket parts, Advance Auto Parts is having a special, $30 bucks off $150 purchase, along with a coupon for $50 off $100 purchase issued later in the month. So for under $200 in parts, I should have it all done.

Looks like those heater hose quick-disconnects are going to be the only real PTA's.

Any suggestions or comments? How are Dayco belts/Hoses, and GMB brand water pumps? Also, now that the alternator is replaced, the only thing else I can think of is perhaps the starter? Is it advisable to replace it also? How long do original starters tend to last?

Also, I noticed that some members have replaced the heater hose quick-disconnects with Brass nipples, and then using regular clamps on the hoses. I think I will also do the same. But instead of using brass, can I use copper?

Thanks in advance for any assistance...
    Last edited by Georgemat; 03-16-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Welcome to the GMTC, well, sounds like you have a good handle on it. All I can tell you is I get all my parts from the dealer or Advanced Auto and I have had no problems. Also, I had a 2000 Silverado LS and put 300,000 on it and never replaced the starter and I now have a 2002 LS and it has 150,000 and no starter yet so if it was me I wouldn't fix it if it aint broke. Just my opinion. Welcome to the club man.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Hey Donyms,

Thanks for your response. Ok, I think I will hold off on the starter. I thought it was a little premature. But then, I never thought the alternator would go so quickly...

Glad to know that the Advance Auto parts will be fine to use. I'll order them online tonight.

BTW, Nice lookin' truck ..

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!!! Older trucks can be a challenge but also can be very rewarding!! ENJOY!!!

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!! I haven't had to face those issues yet (thankfully), so unfortunately I cannot provide any additional help.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Welcome!

Welcome to the site. You should be able to get any help you need here.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Welcome to the G M T C !

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas