GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default tailgate handle problems

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	35886
    here my issue guys...
    i just ordered that nice little bully tailgate lock for my 2000 silverado a bout a week ago, but it will not fit in my tailgate...
    i can see the problem, and what i thought it was, was the handle so i ordered a new handle and installed it today(the one in the picture). turns out that it wasnt the handle. same problem still... what i see is that the rod on the right side (passenger side,red tab) seems to be too long almost... as you can see it is uneven with the other rod... but heres the thing, my tailgate opens and shuts perfectly fine, however when i use the handle the right rod does not even move, because the handle hinge does not contact the rod swivel since it is so low. it still holds shut perfect and opens perfect but its like the rods are off or something, what should i do guys, order a new rod for it? or is there a deeper issue? basically since this rod is that extra (1/4-1/2 inch longer it seems) the lock will not fit in right because that extra length makes the hinge stick too far out and blocks the lock...
    thanks for any input.
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Reggie the rod on the rigth is froze. That being said your left rod is the only latch latching your tailgate. My 03 did the same thing. I took apart the handle mechinism from the tailgate via the three bots on the inside of the bed side, unhooked the two rods to the handle pulled the mech out and PB'd everything worked everything free then wiped it off then never siezed the crap out of it.

If you don't want to do this you can push on the rod carefully to the right and it should pop and latch the tail gate. Put on your new handle and go from there. Be carefull though cause those red and green clips can break fairly easily.
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

hey dedmon thanks for your response, i tried exactly what you said but my handle still remains the same... opens fine shuts fine but still the rod just seems too long idk why. i pb blasted it and wd-40'ed it and still in the same position. i just dont know why it seems to rest like that compared to the other, because if you watch yourself open the handle the left latch comes in, as it follows the swivel motion, and the right rod does not come into contact with the handle until maybe 1/8" from the max pull of the handle and at that point, the left rod has already released and you can open the tailgate

Try this. Open your tailgate, then while its open push (flairly hard)on the right rod towards the right. If it still doesn't move or match the rod on the left, I would say your right mechanism is messed up somehow.

found the problem!
    when my little broither backed my truck intoa tree a while back (the reason for the new tailgate) it got severely bent in the center which actually bent the right striker bolt s tad inwards, thus the latch wasnt grasping it due to it being further away. i bent it back and boom... it works now, it aint perfect and i got my lock in which ill admit is not the greatest lock out there, still wish our trucks came with tailgate locks from the factory.
    thanks for your help