GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default changing from an Automatic to a Stick

We just Bought a 1994 Suburban 1500 4x4,after driving it less than 80 miles the transmission is dead.We would like to get rid of the Automatic and change it over to a stick.What kind of problems are we looking at ??Is there a thread about doing this ??What about cost?Any idea's or experience ? Thanks for your time. Marc L.

You're pretty much looking at a custom job because the newer Suburbans were never offered in a manual transmission that I know of.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

It soundnt be to hard if you have all the equipment needed, I would love to do this to my silverado since it is my only automatic. My question to you is do u have the full center console? That's one thing holding me back also, I've heard a lot of different things about the right transmission. I want a solid 6 speed that has good gears for a truck. Hopefully someone with a good answer will chime in. Also I know you can use components from camero just have the right bell housing for your swap.its gunna be pricy but I plan on doing it myself as soon as I do the right research
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

The easiest way would be to find a 4x4 pick-up of about the same year and just swap the needed pieces over. Stay away from the car transmissions if you ever want to use your truck for hauling or towing. The car transmission will never last, they weren't designed for heavy loads. You will need a custom rear driveshaft, the pick-up front one should work. The 4L60E is computer controlled so your ecm will be looking for a tranny signal, so you will probably need to swap in a manual tranny ecm.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.