GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Anyone else have a fuel pump go before 100k miles?

I personally have never had a FP go this early.

My wife was heading to work one night last week and she said it just shut down wouldn't restart, thankfully she was able to get off the main road on to a side street and hit the onstar button. They sent a tow truck and took it to the dealer, who called me the next morning and said it was bad fuel pump and gonna cost me $800.

Sr. Engineer

Seen them go earlier. Why won,t you change it yourself and save . If it is a pickup pull bed back easiest route.
    RESIDENT NUT.....MY CLAIM TO FAME .....

I would do it myself, but i'm out of work on disability with a hurt back. Trust me I would have already had it done lol.

Change your fuel filter every 30000, and you will extend the life of the fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
    Change your fuel filter every 30000, and you will extend the life of the fuel pump.
    My truck doesn't have a fuel filter, 2005 and newer do not have replaceable filters anymore. I believe they put a filter in the sending unit. Thx though.

Mine went out around the 70k mark. had the dealership replace it under a warranty. the new one went out exactly 1 month later. They fixed it again and doing good so far (knock on wood)
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Yeah, mine went out at 71K. Damn thing. But just be careful where you get the new one. I ordered the Napa pump, and it worked, but didn't have the power it should. It was a muli fit that wasn't pushing enough flow. Pressure was fine still. But when accellerating, not enough flow to maintain proper pressure. I got it from an aftermarket AC Delco dealer, and it was fine.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

The return less systems are more reliable than the older return type most last 200000 miles or more. Regardless you need clean fuel and never run tank down to the last gallon, the pump needs gas to lubricate the pump or it will seize up.

Oh yeah, I always try to refuel around 1/4 tank. Dealer did the repair with oem part, thankfully they only charged me actual labor instead of book rate. Ended up being about $23 cheaper than what they told me. It's running good and hopefully I'll have no more problems. Can't wait until I can start getting the performance mods done to it.
    2006 Silverado Crewcab 5.3l, has a modified airbox with drop-in filter.
    Mods to come:
    Exhaust
    Tune
    Suspension
    More power!