GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Painting my Suburban in stages?

My Suburban has been needing a paint job since I bought it, but now it's getting where it REALLY needs it. It's getting surface rust in more and more places and has one through-hole from rust. So, I need to paint it this year. I'm not liking the idea of sending the truck off to have it painted for 2 reasons. First is cost. It's gonna cost a small fortune to have the truck professionally bodyworked and painted. Second, I don't want to not have access to the truck for an undefined length of time while a bodyshop does the work. I also now have my new shop. So, I'm considering painting it and doing the bodywork myself.

The big issue with me doing the work myself is the truck is huge and I don't think I could get it done in one sitting and the shop isn't big enough to leave in the shop more than during the day because the truck is too long to fit. So, I was hoping I could work and paint the truck in sections, ie roof first, then hood, then one side and eventually the other. The question is will the paint not look right or match if I spray it in multiple sittings? I'm planning on using the DupliColor Paint Shop line of paint.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend

Blog Entries

If you want the paint to turn out good and look uniform through-out the entire truck you will need to shoot the whole truck at the same time. To save $$$ you can do any of the body patching whether you use bono or braze in new metal and sand and prime the truck. If you can get that done it will reduce the amount of work the paint shop has to do. I know Macco offers some pretty good deals at time. You have to understand that they don't do top notch work in most cases but for the money it looks pretty good. Just an option. The best option is to find a friend that is in the business that is willing to do it on the side for a little money and a case of beer!!! LOL

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Well, I'm not going for a show finish. All I'm looking for is to stop the rust from taking over and maybe have it looking decent at 20 feet away. Unfortunately I've searched my extended network of contacts pretty thoroughly and know noone who's taken on any bodywork.