GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Handheld programer for 2003 silverado

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of getting a programer and I have a two part question.
    1- Can I use a handheld flash programer on my 2003? I've seen references to some not being useable on the '03 models, not sure why tho.
    2- I have found what I think is a good deal on a SCT Xcalibrator 2 for sale here in Canada. It's new but these models don't come with canned programs allready loaded on them, so I'll have to buy custom programing from a dealer. I don't have any mods on my truck and don't plan on any right away. Does anyone have any experiance with these? Can I buy, say, a stock 87 octane performance and maybe an economy program from anyone on here?
    My trucks a 2003 silverado ext cab ls Z-71 with the 4.8
    Thanks

Legend

Blog Entries

I don't have any experience with SCT Xcalibrator, so I do not have any opinions about them in terms of quality, but they cost more than many standard tuners that come with several canned tunes that have the option to purchase custom tunes as well. After looking around, SCT costs about $400 US, which seems a little high, especially when something like the Diablosport Predator costs about $270 US. I pasted a link to Diablosport's website. Take a look around at their products and see if there something a little more appealing to you at lower cost (especially once you factor in buying tunes for the SCT). Diablo make a great product and service is excellent...many of us on this forum use their products and highly recommend them.

http://shop.diablosportpower.com/Che...E.qscstrfrnt03
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 03-21-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Thanks mfleetwood, I did notice that the most popular tunes seem to be diablo or blackbear, and I probably wouldn't bother with this Xcal2 if it was the regular price. But, I have found it new on clearance for 150. Still not sure how much the tunes will cost me tho, I emailed a SCT dealer in Halifax, Nova Scotia asking about the cost of the tunes and haven't heard back in two days. Guess they don't need the extra business.
    I'm still not sure if the flashers will work on a 2003, I saw a note on a listing somewhere that stated the product couldn't be used on '03.
    Did GM do something different that one year?

yes, a diablosport predator model U7193 will work perfectly fine for your 2003 Silverado... a diablosport Trinity would also work with your truck...

they come preloaded with an 87 octane tune, and a Diablo Tune (which is for 91 octane or higher)... plus you can get custom tuning done for it if you wanted to as well, to get a custom tune done specifically for your truck to gain even better performance....
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

You will absolutely want a custom tune. @06MonteSS's (i.e. Diablew's) tune on my truck got me 2.5mpg back (that I'd lost due to mods); shifting seemed noticeably different, too. There's no guarantee others will see the same level of gains I experienced, as every truck is different. However, you're guaranteed to see more improvement from a custom tune than a stock tune out of a handheld you plugged into your truck. The reason for this is simple: the stock tune (87 octane tune) has to be generic enough for all trucks ... and again, every truck is different. A custom tune accounts for your truck's differences from others ... and should yield more gains as a result. This becomes especially true if you've made CAI modifications, exhaust modifcations, and the like -- as how an engine breathes is hyper important when tuning.

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caper587 View Post
    I emailed a SCT dealer in Halifax, Nova Scotia asking about the cost of the tunes and haven't heard back in two days. Guess they don't need the extra business.
    Since Lew and Surrealone got your questions taken care of, I'll just make one more comment. I guarantee if you emailed or sent Lew a note, you'd typically hear back from him within minutes....or a couple of hours at the latest, even after you receive a tune from him in which you have follow up questions/concerns. Tunes are sometimes finicky and they may have to be tweaked a few times before you hit the sweet spot. Lew will sit there with you on IM and work with you diligently throughout the process. He ensures you are taken care of quickly and are satisfied.

unless I'm busy at work at the day job, or have family obligations at night after work and am not online that night, hehe... ;)

but generally, yes - what mfleetwood said

Wow! What a day we had here weather wise. Temps got up to about 24 deg C. or around 75 F, norms for this time of year around here are around freezing. It's still almost 70 out now at 6:00 PM, tho temps are dropping and it's suppost to snow in a couple days. Weird weather.
    The dealer I had contacted got back to me today but I guess I'm not going that route. He said he charges 185/hr and that it would take him about an hour each to make up the three programs that I'd asked about. That's more than the other handhelds, just for the tunes. He suggested I go with another brand.
    I think I'm just going to hold off for a bit as much as I'd like one. I'm a single dad with two teens living here with me and if I'm going to spend money on the truck there's some mechanical stuff that should be done first. Maybe I'll find a used one sometime.
    I really do appreciate everyones help on here, sometimes it's almost impossible to find answers.
    Maybe you could answer something else for me. My truck has anti-lock brakes, everything is hooked up. I've checked all fuses and relays. The anti-lock dosen't work. The dash light isn't on and it dosen't come on when you start the truck or when you first turn the key on. If you put your foot on the brake when starting, you don't feel it going though it's test cycle. (not sure if it's suppost to)
    Maybe the bulb is burnt out but, can a flash program turn the light off? I just bought the truck about a year ago and I'm wondering if someone flashed it before and didn't put it back to stock. If someone had a premium fuel tune in it and I'm running 87-88 reg, what would the truck act like?
    Is there anyway for me to tell if it's been flashed without taking it to the stealers?

Legend

Blog Entries

It is definitely a warm Spring...here in Denver it's already hit mid to high 70s a few days and they are forecasting possibly 80s this weekend.

If you are interested in a Predator programmer, you should be able to pick up a used one pretty easily and relatively cheap, as many people are upgrading to the Trinity. If/when the time comes that you want to get one, just start a "wanted" thread on this forum. I've read several posts from people asking if Diablosport has a trade-up program (which they do not). Additionally, you do not have to get a custom tune and you can still set parameters such as tire size, torque management, etc. Here is link that describes the features: http://diablosport.com/index.php?mod...display&pid=98

I'm not sure why your anti-lock does not work...it could be a number of reasons (I'm really not a brake guy). A code reader/programmer could tell if something is wrong but not sure if it covers everything. Personally, I've never felt or recognized my ABS going through a test cycle when starting....other than the dummy light, the only way I know they're not working is if I slam on the brakes on a slippery surface and the brakes don't pulse.

Also, not sure how to tell if you ride has been flashed and not returned to stock or your fuel question...but I am sure someone will be along soon who does.

Ya, slamming on the brakes is how I first noticed that mine weren't working. lol
    Could have been bad but, foot of snow on the roads around this time last year, just after I bought the truck. Friend of mine was giv'n it to 'er to get out of his driveway, he didn't see me coming up the road (white truck), and when I stopped sliding he was so close to the front of the truck I couln't see the bottom of the glass in his door. Just his face in the window. Eyes about the size of Buick hubcaps. Probably both of ours. First couple days with the truck and I thought for sure I was gonna have him in the grill. Oh well
    Not sure how else to trouble shoot my brake prob with out a code reader. One of the reasons I was thinking about a programer, kinda thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. I have a friend who has a superchips tuner, I wondered if I plugged his into my truck if it would show anything that would prove it was a factory program in the truck? I don't know anything about these programers, will it tell between another companies product and the gm one?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by