GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

Blog Entries

That's scary when we find out that when particular moment arises in which we need it, our ABS is not working. Lucky for me, nothing bad happened either.

I would assume that if your friend sets his ride back to stock and they you try the Superchips, it should let you know if the current tune is something other than stock. I'm sure there's an easy way to get your vehicle back to stock though if it is, as this problem doesn't seem like it's a rare one. Also, if you do give it a try, it might be able to read and reset codes regardless, so I'd give it a shot.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Thanks for the feedback Mike. (saw your name by your truck description)
    I'll talk to my bud about borrowing his programer and see what it might say. I know that the comp will retard the ignition if it detects spark knock so I'm wondering if it would still react the same way if it's working off a flash tune. I mean, if it's been tuned for a 89-91 oct, and I'm using 87-88 will it hurt the eng? Will it run like crap? The truck dosen't seem to have the same low end power that it did the first few days I had it. Not that I'm hard on it, actually I've only chirped the tires once or twice since I bought it. And it seems to run good, smooth idle, sounds fine, just didn't seem as strong after running it for a few days. Maybe I just got used to the power. Had been running 4 liter Jeep GC's for a few years.
    Anyway, I'm just wondering how it would run on a lower octane than it might have been flashed for.
    Anyone else have experience with that scenario? Any other ideas with the brake issue? The anti-locks have probably been inop for so long that the bulb's burntout but I'm still wondering.

Legend

Blog Entries

Sorry for the delay, but I haven't logged on for a few days. In any case, I still would not be any help, as I'm not sure what the repercussions could be but I am sure it would run better if you ran the octane the tune called for. Hopefully this bump in your thread will garner a few more response from the experts in this area as well as your brakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12