GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 4.3 questions

Default 4.3 questions

I did a compression test on my 92 pickup today it had 208000 miles the compression was all between 175-183 . I assume thats pretty good. But every plug thread had oil on them the tips were white but there was oil on the threads. I havent had it long enough to tell if it is really using oil in 1000 miles Its moved a hair. Not hardly at all. The guy said it uses about 3/4 of a quart in 3000 which seems about normal on older chevys. When I bought it was due for a change and it was only half a quart down. And the guy has proved to be honest about everything else. Truck runs great and doesnt smoke so I'm confused. All help is appreciated. Thanks

Sounds right about normal to me. I recall "oil" in and on the threads of the spark plugs of my dad's 92, my old 97 and my 99 5.3. Not sure about the comp though I remember doing it to my dads 92 4.3 but can't remember what it was.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

i wouldn't worry about it unless you start to see major consumption issues

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Im not real worried. Im more puzzled that there is good compression but all the plugs have the same amount of oil on them.

GM claims the 1 quart every 3000 miles is normal operation for a NEW engine. In this case, I have to refer to some advice my buddy likes to hand out:

Buddy: "Does it run?"
    Me: "Yes."
    Buddy: "Then drive it."

Besides, with the threads of the plugs well lubricated, you don't have to use any anti-sieze on them when doing a tune up!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)