GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: HID help?

Default HID help?

I have hids in my 96 sierra and I was wound...ering if I could change out the ballasts to help them work more effectively because I think I got ripped off and got a really cheap kit...any opinions will be greatly appreciated

The majority of aftermarket HID kits aren't all that great IMO, my best guess is the ballasts are all made in the same factory and then they slap a brand name and some fancy paint on it to jack up the price. I know DDM Tuning's HID kits have a lifetime warranty on their ballasts, so that might be something to look into.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Thanks...ill look into that...they don't seem to snap on like the newer cars do so I think that's my problem...that's why I asked
    Last edited by GMCZ71; 03-22-2012 at 11:20 PM.

The louder they ticking you here from a ballast the better it is.thats from a very series car man. Also look for some of the new slim ballast. Gpthunder is the brand I have always used. I've never had any issues with them
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Master Mechanic

well it looks like someone has not shared this really helpful link yet so here you go:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...ht=demystified

Definitely check it out and read through carefully, the hyperlinks to additional information are also really important.

Thank you @SurrealOne

The simple fact is that HIDs just plain suck haha, they look real good but it is always a gamble even with better brands. What i do is i have a truck shop i go to and they are ok with going through some ballasts until i get one that doesn't fail. They are good guys... I am on my third passenger side foglight ballast and it didnt cost me anything for the second two... i Go there because of this service and they know i do alot to my trucks and want my business. So i would just suggest going to a shop that sells them and will work with you.
    Adam
    11 Silverado Summit White Ext. Cab 5.3L Z71 9k miles
    RC leveling kit
    Jason fiberglass tonneau cover
    Penda-liner
    Superchips 91 octane tune
    Front air dam removed
    6,000k lowbeams 6,000k fogs
    color match bowties
    color match mudflaps
    20% tint all the way around
    20% tinted 6in sunshade
    Nitto terra grappler 275/70r17 (winter setup)
    Chevy 22s with Bridgestone Alenza 285/45r22 (summer setup)
    Kenwood DNX6180 indash