GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    I agree, on needed someone to keep me in line.......for me my Wife is the Best...... .......and I don't know what I would do without her.
    Just wanted to let you know that this is a great write up. I enjoyed reading this thread and can relate to the part about upgrades and wives. Guess it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that goes through these things. I'm hoping to get a boat very soon and think this is an upgrade well worth investing in, so thanks for the write up.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    I'm not sure...Mike 99Heartbeat may know though. I know my stock one was tiny and am surprised it helped cool the tranny at all. So far, my tranny is running about 30 to 35 degrees cooler.
    Was just wondering how you like the upgrade. Also was wondering what kind of cooler you went with.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVINTHESTORM View Post
    Was just wondering how you like the upgrade. Also was wondering what kind of cooler you went with.
    Thanks for the Kind words, regarding the Write-up I did and the remark about the Wives...........as I mentioned, doing this 40K Cooler Swap, was not only one of the easiest Mods/Upgrades I've Done, but also One of the Best mods, to help with Keeping Transmission Temps Down when Towing Boat, and last Mfleetwoood, Installed with the Same True Cool 40K Cooler, That I installed.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 07-08-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Aded Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LOVINTHESTORM View Post
    The same one Mike (99'Heartbeat) did the write up on...True Cool 40k. It's been great so far. On average, my city driving temp averages about 40 degrees less than my stock cooler had me running (~200 degrees down to ~160). However, the off-roading has been much more substantial, as at times my tranny could hit up to 235 or so but now hasn't broken 170, but I have only been off-roading once since the swap, so I'll have to go a few more times before I am comfortable saying it is consistent.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Could you run both the stock and this aftermarket one? I am interested in helping the tranny anyway I can. I am also looking into the corvette servo upgrade to give a more solid shift.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    Could you run both the stock and this aftermarket one? I am interested in helping the tranny anyway I can. I am also looking into the corvette servo upgrade to give a more solid shift.
    The 40k Cooler that Fleetwood and I have Installed, is Almost 3-Times Larger than the Factory Trans. Cooler, and Does an Excellent Job with keeping the Transmission Temps Down,

Another Item/Part.......that helps with Reducing Transmission Temps is a Aftermarket.....Aluminum Finned Deep Transmission Pan, and the one I installed, was Mag-Hytec's Transmission Pan(Link below)......I had it installed before going with the 40K Cooler, and it reduced my Transmission Temps on Avg. by 10-Degrees.

http://www.mag-hytec.com/transmission.htm
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 07-08-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Legend

Blog Entries

I don't see why you couldn't from a mechanical standpoint but it might take some pretty good modification to get the additional cooler to fit. However, like Mike mentions this cooler does an excellent job. It is rated for someone towing up to 40k lbs. And I think you'd also see better results than I with your lower elevation (denser air) and humidity. Since these are fairly easy to install, you may want to try an after-market first and if you still need more, then try adding back in your stock.

I don't pull a trailer but a few times a year. I mainly am intersted in this mod because of wheeling in the sand. So the cooler I can keep the trany and engine for that matter the happier I and the truck will be.
    @99'HEARTBEAT. I have question about the lines running to the new cooler. I see where you flipped the one on the left of the pic. How did you stretch the line going to the right side of the cooler (as looking at your pic)?

I don't pull a trailer but a few times a year. I mainly am intersted in this mod because of wheeling in the sand. So the cooler I can keep the trany and engine for that matter the happier I and the truck will be.
    @99'HEARTBEAT. I have question about the lines running to the new cooler. I see where you flipped the one on the left of the pic. How did you stretch the line going to the right side of the cooler (as looking at your pic)?
    Underneath the Radiator, mounted to the fame, there's an E-Clip(Plastic)which holds both Transmission Hard-lines in place, all I did was remove and move the e-clip over just a little...2-3ins" to the Right and then Drill one new hole for the E-Clip, and those 2-3ins" was all that was needed to installed the Right-hand side Transmission Hard-line to the New Cooler, Most guys that have done this swap, don't bother with moving the e-clip......and that's why I didn't mention it in the write-up.....

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 07-08-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Living in an area where we have four distinct seasons and, as a result, sometimes near-freezing temperatures, I am curious if a transmission cooler can be too big? I know up north people add bypasses to handle the cold weather. Are there any locking issues with the Tru-Cool 40k GVW in weather circa 25-40F, especially when the truck is first started/cold?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... Last Post byLast Post by