GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Default New Transmission Cooler....

A few years back I installed, a Mag-Hytec Aluminum Finned Deep Transmission Pan, after noticing that my Transmission Temps were running around....180-190 and sometimes just over 200 Degrees, after installing it, I saw a Drop in my Transmission Temp's to around 180/190 Degrees.....But I still was Not Comfortable having my Transmission running at these number's.......even tho these number's are with-in the Temp's expressed in the Owner's Manual.........As I and Most of you guys Know the Biggest Killer of Auto Transmission's is.....HEAT!!!.

After doing some research regarding Swapping out my Factory Trans. Cooler with a Larger Aftermarket Transmission Cooler......The Aftermarket Transmission Cooler of choice I was seeing, is the True Cool 40K Transmission Cooler.

So after ordering not only the 40K Cooler, I ordered a EAD's Transmission Mounting Bracket Kit, which comes with New Upper and Lower Mounting Brackets for the 40k Cooler.....along with all the Mounting Bolts-n-Hardware and 2 Inverted Flair Fittings and the Compression Fitting.

Below are some pictures of the install of the True Cool 40K Transmission Cooler
    Factory Transmission Cooler

New True Cool 40K Installed With New EAD Upper and Lower Mounting Brackets

Install of the Inverted Flair Fittings to both of the Transmission Hard-lines

Install of the Compression(Brass)Fitting........to be able to Spin the Passenger Side Hard-Line 180 Degrees to Line-Up/Fit onto the Threads of the 40K Cooler

Here are the items that come with the 40K Cooler

The 2 Inverted Flair Fittings and Compression(Brass)Fitting that were supplied in the EAD Mounting Bracket Kit,

Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan
    http://www.mag-hytec.com/transmission.htm

........This past Saturday we when Boating and this was the first time Towing my Boat with the New 40K Transmission Cooler.....the Temp's were in the low to mid 90's.......the Transmission Temp's Never went over 150 Degrees!!.......about 30/40 Degrees Cooler than with the Factory Transmission Cooler......I would just say that this is without question the Best Mod I've done to help with Cooling my Transmission Temps.......

Anyone Towing a Boat or Travel/Car Trailer....this would be a item to keep in mind for a Up-Grade......The Time it took to do the installed.......was a little over Hour......for the most part this was Plug and Play Installed, the only Mod was the cutting of the Passenger-Side Hard-lines for the Compression Fitting.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-09-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

2. Thanks ChevyFan thanked for this post
    Likes ChevyFan liked this post

Wow thats quite an improvement over the factory trans cooler
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Wow thats quite an improvement over the factory trans cooler
    Ya David, I was Very Pleased when seeing the Trans. Temp I mentioned, this new cooler is almost....3 Times Larger than the Factory Cooler.....after hearing/reading about other guys who have done this Cooler Swap, I felt it was worth a try.....I'm glad I did this Upgrade!!
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-09-2014 at 09:41 AM.

did you notice any difference with engine temps (going up) due to the larger area covering the radiator? Probably wouldnt due to the fans doing a good job of pulling air through the radiator but thought I'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    did you notice any difference with engine temps (going up) due to the larger area covering the radiator? Probably wouldnt due to the fans doing a good job of pulling air through the radiator but thought I'd ask.

That was one item that I thought about David, But my Engine Temps were the same as they were before installing this larger Cooler....

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-10-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

That looks like stock and works better my fav type of mod.. guess i need to take a look at one for the ram since we all know how much those trannys like heat even though i have the new 5spd auto! thanks for showing how easy is actually is!
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

I got my cooler, fabed up some mounting tabs, ran the lines and got it up and running. Since installing it, I have not seen my temps go above 150 but that's under normal driving conditions. I'm interested to see what happens when towing. It's been about 106 degrees today and the transmission temperatures are staying down. As everyone else has noted, this is a great product!

I am actually interested to know if this cooler and setup would work on an older '89 K2500 with the OEM tranny cooler and TH400 transmission?
    csltrains96
    Myself, my beautiful wife
    3 - boys
    3 - minivans
    1 - '89 Chevy K2500 Silverado Truck
    1 - 27 foot travel trailer
    Not enough family time!

Quote Originally Posted by csltrains96 View Post
    I am actually interested to know if this cooler and setup would work on an older '89 K2500 with the OEM tranny cooler and TH400 transmission?
    Sorry to inform you this but the Cooler they are speaking of doesn't fit in the 88-98/99 trucks because of their nose design.

99/00-2007 design
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3002-1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	52940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3007-1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	52937
    88-98/99 design
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-13_09-16-10_565.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	52938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-13_09-16-04_392b.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	52939

Because of the large center component in the radiator support and the shape of the grill the huge trucool could never fit in a truck from this era. The better bet is a smaller cooler from B&M or if trucool has a smaller one.

And I know it won't fit not just from pictures but from measuring the space there is.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

12. Likes mfleetwood liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by