GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Is there a softer metal that these GM idiots could have found?

What kind of #%&%^& is the engine oil drain plug made of? I've seen harder plastics? Sitting in the house right now rather than setting the truck on fire... Rant off...

Master Mechanic

I'd say TGIF, but it sounds like you have some work to do on the truck this weekend?

the drain plug is made of a softer metal so you do not pull the threads out of the oil pan when you over tighten it. The drain plug only needs like 18 ftlbs to be tight so it should never strip if it is put on properly.

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Jr. Apprentice

Well.. after going into the house and calming down... I went back out and basically twiddled around with it.. then just gave up and basically tapped a socket onto the bolt and the it came out.. quick trip to the local Autozone to purchase another.. (with a larger bolt end) and its back up and running,, sheesh.. I get sick of ten minute jobs turning into excursions.. ugh! so next time.. remind me that the plug is now a 15mm... Rant over.. need an Asbach and coke!

Master Mechanic

Same thing happened to my trans pan oil plug. I ended up strippin it trying to get it off
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Whatever size your drain plugs are, use a six point socket on 'em. Those things are soft enough that even the correct size 12 pointer might round 'em. And, whoever goes near a drain plug with an adjustable wrench needs their gearhead card revoked.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Whatever size your drain plugs are, use a six point socket on 'em. Those things are soft enough that even the correct size 12 pointer might round 'em. And, whoever goes near a drain plug with an adjustable wrench needs their gearhead card revoked.
    Yea, I suspect the oil change places.. I have had the truck since Dec 2010 and this only my second oil change. I (after cooler heads prevailed) remembered that it was goobered up last time I changed the oil and that I was going to get another oil plug last time I did this. So I got that done and will hopefully never have this same problem. The new oil plug is a couple of MM larger than the old one.