GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic

Default brake pad suggestions

Just wanted to see if anyone had any good suggestion on brake pad. I am going to put some on my 03 Avalanche 1500 4wd.I do some towing but normally nothing to heavy. Also if anyone knows anything about rear parking brake shoes. I have changed pads/rotors before but never parking brake shoe. I am trying to save a little money. Is there a special tool/tools need to change them out or should I just take it to a mechanic to have it done. I have asked my machanic and he said it would be about $135 to do both parking brake. Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by freddie; 03-23-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    2003 Avalanche 4x4 with cladding 110k miles +, K&N stock replacement air filter, Skyjacker 8000 shocks, Hawks LTS pads, Summit Racing brand drilled and sloted rotors, Sylvania ZXE high & low beams, leveling kit, 285/70/r17 Michelin M/S

I've bought rotors, front pads, and back pads just recently. Will be putting 'em on next week some time. I went with the Raybestos brand. I've heard good things about them, and they are well priced. I've also heard good things about EBC and Hawks.

98 Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 5.7 V8 | ION Alloy Black Machined/Chrome Wheels
    Spectrum Cold Air Intake | More to come...

Semi-metallics if you tow, since they disperse heat better than ceramics and, thus, are less prone to inducing rotor warpage. I personally prefer Hawks but EBC's are on my go-to list, as well.

I use Raybestos but Hawk and EBC are both good as well.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Hawks have always had good write ups.. I have them with the SSBC Big brake kit...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I use performance friction pads and love them http://www.performancefriction.com/
    I also have used Wagner pads with good luck

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

I have also used wagner with no issues. There are no special tools required to do the rear parking brake shoes. The hardest part can be getting the drum/rotor off. Other then that you just need a socket (around 8-10mm) to take off the hold down. Just shop around for them. You can get lifetime warranty at Autozone for around $50, the auto value near me wants $70 for lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by Pikey; 03-30-2012 at 09:31 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I have used both the Wagner ThermoQuiet and the NAPA Safety Stops. Both are Great

Click the ^banner^ and save up to 15% on Chevy mods.
    We price match, simply call 888-591-8563 or
    Click-to-Chat and
    we'll beat ANY price by $1.

*View our 2011 Silverado Build Page here

Just put Wagners in, like them so far