GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Install Advice- Infinity Kappa 6.5s

I just came across a dirt cheap set of kappas and i figured id get them. my buddy has infinity all the way around in his truck but he didnt install them himself. now ive heard these are a nightmare to install, im doing them in the front doors. If anybody has any advice or guidance on installing these that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
    2003 K1500HD-Straight Pipe, Drop -In K&N Filter, 3" Lift Soon, H2 Rims
    1993 C1500 ECSB- Open Headers, Performance Shift Kit

I've replaced all the speakers in my truck and it wasn't bad at all. Even ran all new wire. My truck is a regular cab though so I don't know it that makes a difference but my door speakers bolted right in. I don't know much about the kappas.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Other then the Infinty speakers being bright. Are you powering them with anything beside the factory radio? Install on a 03 should be fine. If you have the Sep tweeter in the upper piller I would disconnect it or the tweeter in the Kappas cause you will have a very bright and harch sound..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Jr. Mechanic

my system is bone stock. these speakers will be the first mod im doing

Those doors are super easy to remove. There is a screw behind the lock indicator so don't forget to remove that

Quote Originally Posted by 03HeavyHalf View Post
    I just came across a dirt cheap set of kappas and i figured id get them. my buddy has infinity all the way around in his truck but he didnt install them himself. now ive heard these are a nightmare to install, im doing them in the front doors. If anybody has any advice or guidance on installing these that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

1. I've got component 6.5" Infinity Kappa's up front and component 4x6" Infinity Kappa plates in the rear.
    2. I recommend a foam spaker baffle to help protect the speaker from water and the like. (That's all they're really good for.)
    3. You will need to make new screw holes for the 6.5" mounting ring. This is no big deal.
    4. The 6.5's are larger in diameter than the original holes in the door panels. So, once you've mounted the 6.5's I recommend taking a dremel to the door panel to expand the stock hole so that the speaker fits properly. Go slowly and check your work often, as you can always remove more material but once you remove it you can never put it back on!
    5. I wouldn't put the crossovers in the doors; keep them in the cab if you can. (That'll mean some wiring.)
    6. I strongly recommend avoiding re-use of the A-pillar tweeter location. (Disconnect those guys or remove them, completely.)
    7. Instead, for the component tweeters you can take a dremel to the door panel and make holes for the tweets ... but be sure to choose your positions carefully such that there's enough depth behind the panel to allow for the tweeter's depths when they are in their mounting rings. The tweeter mounting rings are nice in that you can get a very flush look ... and even angle them once you've got their positions on the door panels determined. Again, take your time, here, check your work often, and get it right.
    8. Be sure to attenuate the crossover to -6db unless you like VERY bright, crisp highs.

My Infinities sit behind the stock speaker grilles and I even left the dippy 'Bose' emblem in place. I considered these pretty darn simple to install. Note, however, that I didn't use ANY of the stock wiring for my system.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 03-25-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Jr. Mechanic

Thanks i will certainly keep all that in mind, especially when i have my doors tore apart and am swearing at my truck lol but these speakers dont have the little tweeters like you said its just the speakers themselves.

Ahh, they are the coaxials?

Jr. Mechanic

It says 2 way, im not very well versed in audio stuff. but im getting 2 12 inch kickers and a 1k amp for 200 here soon. that will probably be done professionally lol

the kappas aint hard to install, the only difference between these speakers and others is that they have an external crossover wired to them. all i did was put some double-sided 3M tape on the back of it and mount it inside the door, then mount the speaker
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR