GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Extremely Baffling Problem With A 1995 Chevy 1500 Truck! Please Help!!!!

Hello everyone, I am in extremely desperate need here, and I really am hoping one of you on here can help me!

I recently acquired a 1995 Chevy 1500 pickup truck with a 4.3 liter Vortec engine, manual transmission, two wheel drive.

For the past couple of of weeks, my truck acted like it had a dead-spot in the starter motor, which was only 3-4 months old, so I replaced it with another one. It kept acting the same way... sometimes it would start, and other times it wouldnt, so I would have to push start it to get somewhere. Then, out of the blue 2 days ago, my truck started sputtering and losing power, all my gauges and warning lights are going absolutely haywire. So far, I have put in a brand new starter, a new battery, new alternator, new grounding connections, checked as much of the wiring as I can easily see and reach to check for shorts, and I can not find what is wrong. The only wire that seems to have fried out is the wire going to the hood light.

Can anyone help me solve this mystery? I am in desperate need to of getting my truck back on the road, and this is my only vehicle I have.

Please help!

Welcome to the GMTC, Watchman.

That sucks. Is that fried wire still grounding out? Have you tried searching for codes? It's out of my realm of knowledge, but I've heard others here talk about the cam position sensor, for the wierd starting/running issue.
    With all the lights and gauges acting up, it might be in the computer. Get that thing plugged in and check the codes.

Good luck,

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Thanks for replying! I really want to check the codes, but I cant seem to find the computer I need to do that for sale anywhere around where I live. They are selling the computers for 1996 and newer

You don't need a computer scanner to get the codes from it. Stick a paper clip into the upper right two pins in the diagnostic connector... The two that actually have contacts side by side. Turn the ignition to the "run" position but don't start the truck. The Service Engine Soon light will flash the number 12 at you 3 times. (It will go "Flash (pause) Flash Flash", where the first flash represents the number 1 and the flash flash equals the number 2, thereby "12".

After "12" cycles 3 times, it will move on to show you any stored codes to you in numeric order. For example, it might go "Flash flash flash (pause) flash flash" to indicate a code "32" which would be an EGR code. Write down all of the codes as it spits them out at you (except for the "12"). after it spits them out at you, it will cycle back to "12" again and begin the process all over. When you are done, turn the ignition off and pull the paper clip out.

Auto Zone used to make a "key" that would fit in those slots in the diagnostic connector, but a paper clip works just as well!

THIS WILL NOT WORK ON ANY VEHICLES MANUFACTURED AFTER 1995! If you go sticking paper clips in a 1996 or newer "OBD II" connector, you will likely let out the smoke of sadness!
    Last edited by moogvo; 03-21-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Legend

Blog Entries

I'm not sure what could be the problem; however, the below link may help you to retrieve any codes your ride might be throwing. Typically 1995 and older vehicles do not use ODB2 system, thus your problem in trying to find a code reader for your vehicle.

http://www.extreme-check-engine-ligh...%20Decoder.htm

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Autozone will test for free if you can get it to their store. Some other parts stores do the same . Also some will rent the tool for no charge if you return it in working order. Get a friend to give you a ride . Or use the method Moo described which works just as well . Only exception is Autozone hook up will give you an immediate print out of the codes.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Thanks for the replies everyone! I did ask advance auto about doing the test yesterday and they said they only test with the OBD2, for vehicles 1996 and newer. Also, thanks for the neat tip Moo, I will definitely give that a shot!

Legend

Blog Entries

Once you have the code(s) written down, make sure you check out the link above as it lists what each code represents.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post

THIS WILL NOT WORK ON ANY VEHICLES MANUFACTURED AFTER 1995! If you go sticking paper clips in a 1996 or newer "OBD II" connector, you will likely let out the smoke of sadness!
    Definitely a great call out!

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Once you have the code(s) written down, make sure you check out the link above as it lists what each code represents.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Definitely a great call out!

I most certainly will! Thank you for the link Fleetwood! Thank you as well to all the others who have replied as well, if it were not for all of you, I would still be sitting here trying to figure out how to begin to find answers. The other forum I posted this question on, was met with a snide and smarta** reply.

Legend

Blog Entries

Well then, you'll have to stick around here and let us know what you come up with. I hope you're able to get someplace with the codes and get your ride back up an running asap. Also, someone else might catch your thread either later on tonight or tomorrow that has experienced your symptoms and can provide some direct advice.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by