GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Engineer

Default painting over diamond plate aluminum ?

guys,
    on my nephews truck he wants me to paint over his shiny diamond plate aluminum bed rail covers, wants me to match paint them gloss black with a clear coat, automotive style paint.

can i just scuff up the aluminum and spray it, would i need to primer it first, or any special kind of etching primer ?

might even do it just rattle can style.

any help would be appreciated. thanks

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Powder Coat will work better and last longer...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Yea powder coating would be best.
    For painting you really need to scuff them good, most diamond plate useed like that has a clear coat and you'll need to make sure it's removed or it'll peel off with the paint.
    After removing any clear coat scuff the metal untill its a dull grey them prime it then paint.

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Powder Coat will work better and last longer...
    That is also what I recommend!

Jr. Engineer

thanks guys.... since my nephew dont have much money for podercoating i will try and shoot it with some paint.
    thanks for the help.

a light sanding with some 200-300 grit sandpaper then some primer will definatly help. just got done painting the rims in my sig, did the same stratergy.

good luck.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

You need to use paint specialized for adhering to aluminum. Often you can use a specific primer and use normal paints.

I know you are not doing it, but the problem with powdercoating that consumers don't understand is that if it develops a crack or chip, which is easier to do than people think, the powdercoat traps moisture under it at the point of the defect and the metal deteriorates quite badly. You are better off with paint, not powdercoating. As long as you do proper surface preparation.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by The Heater View Post
    You need to use paint specialized for adhering to aluminum. Often you can use a specific primer and use normal paints.

I know you are not doing it, but the problem with powdercoating that consumers don't understand is that if it develops a crack or chip, which is easier to do than people think, the powdercoat traps moisture under it at the point of the defect and the metal deteriorates quite badly. You are better off with paint, not powdercoating. As long as you do proper surface preparation.

thanks for the info.... i called my local auto paint supply, and he suggested a rattle can primer for 7 dollars a can, then shoot over it with auto paint..... thats the route i will go, when my nephew gets the money to do this project.....
    thanks again guys.