GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Changing Transmission Fluid...

After seeing all these transmission problems lately on this site resently I will help with what I know. I was talking with a local transmission shop owner last year sometime who has been in business in the area for over forty years. He had to rebuild the tranny in my Grandfathers F**d Escape.He filled me in on the in's and out's of maintaining your tranny. First off he said if maintained properly your tranny should last a long time.

When backing or going forward then shifting into the other direction come to a complete stop before moving gear selector handle.

When at a stop accelerate normally, try to avoid aggressive starts.

When driving try to avoid flooring the throttle unless nessasary. In other words try to avoid the tranny shifting down when passing.

If you tow a trailer or haul heavy loads reagularly, your fluid will need changed every 12,000 miles or sooner depending on the severity.

The maximum milage anyone should go is 25 to 30,000 miles without a change of fluid.

When hauling trailers or heavy loads put transmisson in the next lower gear, in otherwords do not put in overdrive. Use the tow/haul feature as well if you have it.

Keep in mind this is one persons opinions, professional or not. Ultimitly heat is the number one killer of transmissions. He also said you can do nothing and replace the tranny when it goes and probably have as much in it as you do a rebuild or remanufactured transmission as you would with all the fluid changes if done at his suggested intervals of course depending on if you do it yourself or a shop, and type of tranny you have to rebuild.
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

It's amazing how even the most simple and obvious things, when written down, can be such a help. Honestly, I often shift from revers to drive before coming to a complete stop, and the thought has even occured to me on a couple of occasions. I guess I just needed someone to slap me upside the head to keep me from doing something that was obviously not going to help.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Thanks for the info!
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

Quote Originally Posted by dedmon27 View Post
    First off he said if maintained properly your tranny should last a long time.

If you tow a trailer or haul heavy loads reagularly, your fluid will need changed every 12,000 miles or sooner depending on the severity.

The maximum milage anyone should go is 25 to 30,000 miles without a change of fluid.

When hauling trailers or heavy loads put transmisson in the next lower gear, in otherwords do not put in overdrive. Use the tow/haul feature as well if you have it.

Ultimitly heat is the number one killer of transmissions.
    The vast majority of transmissions that fail before 150,000 miles is due to lack of maintenence and overheating. Every time someone posts on here about how the 4L60E is junk and that theirs failed at 90,000 miles. I want to ask when was the last time it was serviced. I change my trannys fluid and filter every 10,000 miles and run the factory auxilury cooler plus a second remote cooler with it's own fan. My 4L60E just rolled over 184,000 and she's still going strong, and that's while pulling a 5000 lb toyhauler up 6 percent grades in 100 plus degree heat at least twice a month each summer.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.