GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Oil Leak

Default Oil Leak

I noticed I had a spot of oil on my garage floor from my 03 Tahoe. I looked underneath and saw a small drip forming on the bottom of the oil filter. I tightened it, but wondered where else oil could be coming from if it were dripping on the under side of the oil filter?

The O-ring on the filter may have been dry causing it not to seal when put on. It could be the block adapter (if it has one)
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Too simple. Chances are it comes from above the filter. Likely suspects are: valve cover gasket and rear seal on intake manifold, the latter of which is notorious on many V-8s for leaking.

I just had mine replaced on my truck, same deal, a small oil leak barely noticeable on the ground but from under a lift you could see the oil coming down the engine from way above, and it dripped onto the cross pipe for the exhaust.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

What did that cost you? Just curious what I might (or hopefully might not) get into.

Here is what they did and what it cost:

"remove distributor, remove intake manifold, clean gasket surfaces and reseal, reassemble intake and install distributor, replace coolant bypass hose and coolant hose connection on the back of the intake" 4.10 hrs labor @$90/hr=$369.00

Cost of gasket for manifold=$36.00.

They put a bead of silicone sealer at the rear of the manifold instead of using a gasket. This works better long term, but eventually they all leak again.

This is not the average car repair shop. They work mostly for racers and owners of restored classic American cars and they design and build engines for an exotic car manufacturer. They will also work on plain old trucks like mine, but you usually don't find this place unless you are looking for something special, which I was a few years back. I just kept taking my truck there after they got that work done.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Well, hopefully it's nothing too serious. The previous owner didn't mention anything about it (nor did he need to), but he was an honest guy and I didn't notice any spots on his driveway where he parked it. Needs an oil change, so maybe I'll know more in a few weeks, but the oil level looked a bit low on the dipstick.

check just above the oil filter there should be a block off plate for the oil cooler lines. If it has oil cooler lines which most tahoes dont they could also be the suspect. The new motors (4.8, 5.3, 6.0) arent known to have a lot of oil leaks. The most common areas of leaks that i have seen are the oil cooler lines if they have them, the block off plate for the cooler lines, the oil sending unit, and the rear main seal.

Do any of the stop leak products work? Saw a few when I was at the store today and wondered if they're worth a shot?

I hear a lot of people say they work. I have actually stoped coolant leaks at work with it. But i am one to find the problem and fix it. If it is the block off plate the gasket would probably cost as much as a bottle of the stop leak and its just two bolts that hold it on.

Sometimes this is as simple as replacing the oil filter and following proper procedures. Many shops overtighten GM filters and this results in oil leaks. Change the filter but while it is off check all other possible areas(as mentioned above) before reinstalling new filter
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"