GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Default New Job so New DD

    Well guys and gals, I brought myself to buy a car. Due to the lovely gas prices and my new commute to my new engineering job in Charlotte, about a 54 miles round trip, I decided to buy a "new to me" 2001 Honda Civic, has alittle more than 71 K miles. I want to say it was driven by an older lady, so its not really a babe magnet but its in good condition other than a few paint scratches and dings. No worries I still have my Silverado, it is just parked for the weekdays now until the weekend. So far painted the steelies from black rust to black, and took some unnecessary things off the car. So the next mod will be tint and then drive Oh btw I get 36 mpg BeforeAfter
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

    02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik



  2. #2
    Legend

    Red Z71 Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    2,334
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Its amazing what a little spray paint can do to spruce up a slightly used vehicle. With the gas prices the way they are, I think alot of people will be down sizing for something a little more fuel economical. I hope the new ride serves you well and good luck with the new job!!!!!!

    (Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

  3. #3

    Default

    You have my congratulations on the new job and my condolences on the new commute. 36mpg is nothing to sneer at; mpg is what little Japanese cars are truly good at. (Recall the gas crunch of the 70's is where the Japanese first made in-roads into our car market? ;) )

  4. #4

    Default

    Congrats on the new employment opportunity. I have been oiling up the chain on my Schwinn and trying to figure out how to make it work. I finally figured what the pedals are for and how they turn. My thoughts are that this will save a huge amount of fuel cost if I can remember ho to balance and pedal at the same time.
    All kidding aside , it seems that it will not get better anytime soon. Sadly.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

    "If He asks you to go a mile go two"

  5. #5
    Master Mechanic
    Dirty Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Regina Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    731
    Blog Entries
    31

    Default

    Congrats on your new job, and i think your car as well, make sure you hug your truck when you get home at night, as i am sure it will not understand this new weekday parked thing......

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Z71 Max View Post
    Its amazing what a little spray paint can do to spruce up a slightly used vehicle. With the gas prices the way they are, I think alot of people will be down sizing for something a little more fuel economical. I hope the new ride serves you well and good luck with the new job!!!!!!
    Thanks Red, but you are right the night and day difference with the rims just from some spray paint. But fuel economy and wear & tear from traveling into Charlotte were my main reasons for the car. So I hope this car can last me awhile and hopefully I wont have to throw money at it other than regular maintenance lol

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    You have my congratulations on the new job and my condolences on the new commute. 36mpg is nothing to sneer at; mpg is what little Japanese cars are truly good at. (Recall the gas crunch of the 70's is where the Japanese first made in-roads into our car market? ;) )
    Thanks Surreal, unfortunately I was not even a thought back in the 70's for that gas crunch, but I wish I could be driving a big V8 and not have to worry about gas economy and prices. But since I have the truck parked for I'll be itching to take it for a drive, maybe another Central NC get together sometime this summer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach24 View Post
    Congrats on the new employment opportunity. I have been oiling up the chain on my Schwinn and trying to figure out how to make it work. I finally figured what the pedals are for and how they turn. My thoughts are that this will save a huge amount of fuel cost if I can remember ho to balance and pedal at the same time.
    All kidding aside , it seems that it will not get better anytime soon. Sadly.
    Haha Coach you crack me up, maybe you'll remember how to ride that thing, if not you'll spending that money you saved on doctor bills lol. And sadly I agree I dont see it getting better either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dog View Post
    Congrats on your new job, and i think your car as well, make sure you hug your truck when you get home at night, as i am sure it will not understand this new weekday parked thing......
    Thanks DD and yes you are right, I dont think she is use to be sitting on the weekdays, but I have already gave attention to her, washing the pollen and tree stuff off when I get home in the evenings. But the weekends comes around you'll find me back in my chevy
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

    02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik



  7. #7
    Master Mechanic SupplySgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Middle TN, displaced Okie
    Posts
    764

    Default

    I had an 01 Monte Carlo that got 33mpg with a V6. But it had some electrical gremlins so I sold it and started driving the truck again after getting the transmission replaced. I only drive 50-60 miles a week though right now so it really didn't raise my fuel costs much and opened up room for my next project (lack of a project has been driving me nuts). My next project will probably end up being pretty efficient (as long as I can resist stomping the gas pedal) as it will be a turbocharged 3800 in RWD form :D. Congrats on the job though.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

    KJ4CLI



    "...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeSilver02 View Post
    Thanks Surreal, unfortunately I was not even a thought back in the 70's for that gas crunch, but I wish I could be driving a big V8 and not have to worry about gas economy and prices. But since I have the truck parked for I'll be itching to take it for a drive, maybe another Central NC get together sometime this summer?
    We surely can do it. The last one was very local and, as a result, very informal. We can plan ahead for the next one and try to slot it on a weekend so that more can make it.

  9. #9

    Default

    Congrats on the new job! i also just bought a little commuter or dd for myself


    2003 single cab stepside Chev 1500, 6" rough coutnry lift, 4' firestick cb whips, cobra ltd cb radio.
    Next mods: flowmaster 10series muffler and exhaust (in process)
    1.5" zone body lift
    315/70r16 cooper stt once the 305s wear out

    Sold-1996 Audi A4 lowered on H&R ultra low coils running 19" mercedes wheels, limo tint, borla exhaust
    New ride 96 VW jetta lowered 2.0l 5 spd

  10. #10

    Default

    congrats on the new job, there's a lot of that going around!

    Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

    Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •