GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Equinox or Terrain - Looking at one for a commuter car

Chevy EquinoxI've driven both the Equinox and also the Terrain in the past years, and I've been thinking alot about getting one as a commuter vehicle for myself.

REASONS TO GET AN EQUINOX
    • It's not that small. I'm 6'4" and I fit inside it perfectly well. It's cozy, but not cramped for me.
    • It gets great gas mileage, perfect for a commuter car. Should see MPG around 25 for where I drive.
    • I can tow my utility trailer and/or a pop-up camper trailer with it, so it could be used for utility purposes with the 3.4 or 3.6 engine.
    • We should be able to get 3 kids across the rear seat if we need to. Two car seats and the oldest is just about done with the booster.
    • If it's treated right, should last to 200,000 miles w/o any major mechanical issues.
    • I like the styling of it, will do just fine for a monday to friday commuter.

REASONS TO NOT GET AN EQUINOX
    • It's not that big. It would be nice to find something that's slightly larger, but that would give lower MPG.
    • Getting three kids in here would be snug. 95% of the time it would be just me though, so that's not a major issue.
    • Can't tow a full-sized trailer if we go with the 2.4L ecotec four-cylinder that gets the good MPG. Would have to get the 3.4 or 3.6.
    • Would have to take the trailer each time I made a run to the hardware store.

Thoughts from equinox owners? Am I right on the money on this for everything that I want to do with it?
    Last edited by Steve; 03-27-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

I have a 2010 with the 2.4. I got it for the exact reason you are looking at them, the commute. I love it. I still have my old 95 truck so I use that to move the 4-wheeler, lawn mower, or runs to the hardware store. I would get the 2.4 and get an older truck to pull a trailer.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Master Mechanic

I kind of like the terrains. I think they're pretty cool and the interior is nice too. They are sort of like an envoy a little. I thought about getting one when I traded my truck in a while back.
    http://www.gmc.com/terrain-small-suv/photos.html#item03

Legend

Blog Entries

I have looked at the Equinox for a new vehicle for my wife. You can't beat the fuel milage and the interior layout is extremely well thought out. The one I looked at was a Mocha Brown LTZ with Tan and Black leather. I think they are a really sharp truck!!

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

ill add in my .02 here as well. im toying with going this route as well, rather then trade my truck in, get a new or couple year old equinox for the wife for the same reasons as you steve. mileage, room (im 6'3) plus its a little larger for more interior hauling room (car trips)

lets face it, gas isnt goingto get cheap any time soon, so mileage is the big thing for me. why buy a crew bab truck, that might get 18 for a average, when we could get a equinox, that will do most of the same stuff, get better mileage, and keep the truck i have now for the truck stuff.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

My commute isn't all that hard anymore, but I'll be on a tight budget until I get some debt paid off and let's face it, none of us are getting any younger.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today